Fly Fusion Forums

Crow Question

Is it normal to have 18 inch rainbows sitting so close to your feet that you could step on them? Or is there an abundance of deaf and blind fish in the Crow?

I followed one 3/4 the way across the river today, all while being within 5 feet of it. I've seen this before but no where near to the extent I experienced today.

Is it normal to have 18 inch rainbows sitting so close to your feet that you could step on them? Or is there an abundance of deaf and blind fish in the Crow?

I followed one 3/4 the way across the river today, all while being within 5 feet of it. I've seen this before but no where near to the extent I experienced today.

You came down to our area and never called? I would of been happy to get out with you.

The behaviour is understandable in areas with lots of human traffic...the fish get used to seeing people on their turf and are therefore not alarmed by our presence. You will also find this on the livingstone, Michel Creek, and other heavily fished streams.

If you think that's weird wait till the fish use your legs as a current break and continue feeding . Happened to me a couple of times down south on the San Juan, combat fishin at it's finest, about freaked me out the first time, big assed juan rainbow takes up station just downstream of your knee deep legs and starts to feed on stuff kicked up by you and the fishermen upstream. Apparently that's how you can tell who's the rookie on the San Juan, they're the ones standing still,not fishin', lookin' slightly downstream with their mouths hangin' open.

Apparently that's how you can tell who's the rookie on the San Juan, they're the ones standing still,not fishin', lookin' slightly downstream with their mouths hangin' open.

I guess that would apply to me on the Crow. :lol: I'm not used to these "Tourist" streams. At least I wasn't stupid enough to waste my time dropping everything in my fly box in front of him. I knew he had my number.

It's not normal but it happens.

I fished the Crow on several occasions and had very nice fish right at my feet. There's so many folks wading that water some of the fish have grown accustomed to people.

I turned around one day and there was a couple of really nice rainbows using me to block the current...

Guest bigbadbrent

i netted a cutty yesterday that was turned the wrong way in the current at my feet in like 3" of water and just chillin, thought something was wrong with it. Soon as i got him in the net he went nuts, so released him and he took off like a bullet, then 5 minutes later back to the spot he was at before