Fly Fusion Forums

Question About The Green Butt Skunk

jonn

I'm a newbie to tying these types of flies and from what I've gathered I would think that it would depend on conditions your fishing. For example, 6s and 8s are the more popular sizes for most hairwing patterns for east coast salmon, especially when fishing low water or when targeting smaller fish. When the water is up a lot of the same patterns are used but in larger sizes. If your tying these for chrome, since that particular fly is one of the more popular patterns, why not tie a couple of each size. I personally find 8s and smaller a bugger to tie, with the small hooks it always takes me a few flies to get the proportions right.

Ya your probaly right, I'm tying them for Steelhead. I was planning on tying up a few different sizes, just wasn't sure how small I should be going, or how big I suppose! I have found a lot of different patterns but not many of them list the size of the hooks to be used. But it looks like every movie I've seen they hold up what looks like a sz. 2 -4 hook when there talking about down sizing there fly.

In my experience I find it makes a great deal of difference in which sice is used. The deeper and colder the water is the larger I go. In very low clear water I go small. That is not a hard fast rule, but a good place to start.

For Steelhead I do a lot of 7's and 4's for my clients in BC and the US. For my personal use I do like 7's.

Ya your probaly right, I'm tying them for Steelhead. I was planning on tying up a few different sizes, just wasn't sure how small I should be going, or how big I suppose! I have found a lot of different patterns but not many of them list the size of the hooks to be used. But it looks like every movie I've seen they hold up what looks like a sz. 2 -4 hook when there talking about down sizing there fly.

• 2 weeks later...