Fly Fusion Forums

Air Pumps ?

I usually just rock a double action (push/pull) pump that you would use for blowing up an air mattress. I believe the fish cat deluxe also comes with a mouth piece that you can use directly on the boat, I would recommend this if you don't have much space on your pack for a pump. Doesn't take too long with the mouth piece, but it isn't as fun if you just came off a long hike.

Hi All,

I am purchasing a fish cat deluxe. I have a question for all of you with float tube and pontoons, Whats pumps do you recomend?

Thanks for the input.

Terrance

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

im with Buck, large cylinder double actions are the only way to go and if its pack in then just lung it. Have a budy watch your back...it sounds like a lost lonely calf calling for its mother lol

thx,I will most likely hike up with it already inflated.

I would reccomend bringing a pump. As noted elevation as well as when you put it in a cold lake you can lose pressure. Not that it would be enough to cause a real problem but it is nice to have a ridged boat

Edit: I took from your comment you where going to leave the pump in the truck..thinking I may have misunderstood you

I highly recommend the K-pump. It may not be as fast as a double action but is much easier to use and t fits very well on my cargo deck so I can take it with me on my floats. No hunching over and messing around with the double action slipping out from you feet. They area bit pricey though. .

This will sound nuts, but, I initially inflated mine with my shopvac, reversed to "blow", after I had run it for a few minutes to clear any residual dust. It blows warm air, taking all of the wrinkles out of the deflated and packaged PVC 'toons. Simply set the valves closed and place the hose fitting over the valve. The force of the reversed vac will open the valve. Filled with the vac is sufficient for travel(about 2/3 full). Top it up with a double action pump upon arrival. If you are going to pack in, inflate it to full(so that the 'toon "points" have some decent resistance when squeezing them with one hand a couple of inches back of the tip), packing an under inflated 'toon is a pain. Elevation has a minor effect on inflation, the increase in air temperature during the mornings is what really expands the air in the 'toons.

j