Fly Fusion Forums

Geraldine Lakes

hiketofish

Last weekend, was in Jasper and managed to find time to do a 2 night 3 day trip into Geraldine Lakes. There are 4 or 5 lakes strung out in a row. The second lake is more of a puddle and some people don't count it. It has catchable fish in it so I count it as a lake. The kids did well fishing but two fish really stood out, one was a large brook trout, the other a nice rainbow. Here's a few pics I have at work that were resized below the 100 k limit.post-419-1187300444.jpg

The view from the campground on the third lake.

This pic made the trip for me. It was raining out, we stopped for a fishing break, my six year old son casts out (spinning rod) and gets a fish on. Look at the expression on his face. He was so proud of catching it by himself but not as happy as his Dad.

post-419-1187300937.jpg

The little hand in the picture is his older brother's. His older brother is a bit jealous although he caught a large brook trout the day before so they both had bragging rights. Both kids caught more fish than dad. I was managing to catch many of the 10-12 inch fish in the lakes when I was able to fish. The kids would throw a spinner in and usually get a bigger fish than me. I will try and post the nice brook trout when I get some resizing done.

Here's some more pics. Here's the boys hiking up the trail. The trail into the campground at Geraldine Lakes certainly has character. There are more roots, rocks and willow than actual trail and this may be the toughest 6 km hike around. We got rain on 2 of 3 days making the rocks really slippery. I expected us to be to the campsite in 3 hours or less. Try doubling that.

p1010025od4.jpg

I like to give them a bit of adventure.

p1010049tb1.jpg

Yes the younger one did fall off and get his boots full of water but I think he'll forgive me some day.

p1010045io0.jpg

Hiking up to the last lake.

p1010046br8.jpg

This is the 5th and last lake up the valley. Its actually the only lake we didn't catch a fish at but we only tried for a few minutes as I was pushing my luck getting them this far.

p1010050bf4.jpg

Fish on. I only brought one rod for them so they had to share. That created more tears than any of the scrapes they got.

p1010054yv5.jpg

My 8 year old catches a bigger brook trout than I ever have.

p1010072yh1.jpg

Fishing in the rain can be good.

p1010077yh7.jpg

My 6 year old catches a bigger rainbow than I ever have

Another highlight was on the way out, we spotted two totally white shapes cross ahead of us and scurry up the slope to some ledges. Only the second time I have hiked into Mountain goats. No pictures of them as would need a much better telephoto camera.

My wife slipped in that first boulder field you have pictured and we were luck she only got a deep gouge. Unfortunately I didn't take a rod but we saw fish in even the smaller ponds. Good for your boys for making it. There's a pretty intense gradient the entire way. We didn't make the top due to the boulder field mishap.

We backpacked into Lillian Lake with the kids a couple of years ago. My son (non-fisherman) caught just about 30 cutts in the 3 days. We had a moose hanging around. We've found the absolute key is to keep the kids well hydrated - more important than the trail treats.

Great post that area is awesome. The hike is pretty killer I did it with float tube and all my gear the first time and once I got to the lake the zipper split on my float tube rendering it useless........ man was I choked as in order to zip it up again I had to deflate it and I didn't bring a pump with me to inflate it afterwards...... I imagine a few coarse words could be heard echoing through the woods that day. Great pics and great fish to by the way........ that rainbow and that brookie are really nice. Did your boys do the whole hike in rubber boots?

PS its nice to see you on this forum

THat would be a hard hike to do with a float tube. Lonefisher you told me you weren't a strong hiker I'm doubting that.

Yes the boys did the whole hike in rubber boots. In fact they have hiked to Helen Lake in BNP and a few others in rubber boots as well. Rubber boots if they get wet, you just empty them, put on dry socks and your good to go again. I think only Adults complain about their feet while hiking. Kids just need to have frequent breaks for treats (gummy worms, various candy, and water breaks) They hiked 6 hours on day 1, 5 on day 2 and 3. Can't be done without rewarding them for hard work. They carried one set of dry clothes and one pair of extra footwear and a book to read to them at night. My pack had all 3 sleeping bags and thermarests plus all the rest of the standard gear. THey picked out the suppers, we had hotdogs and mashed potatoes one night and macaroni and cheese the next. Not my usual meals but they sure looked forward to them.

On another note, if anyone has hiked up the snaring river any length please PM me. I think I'll post the question in the other section as well.

We flew a kite off the first headwall one day standing on the edge.

That was quite a hoot as there was no ground to hit.

Looks like you had my favorite weather in the hills that day (overcast, grey, and drizzling) - love it!

Great post and good on ya for bringing the fam damily. Its something I wouldn't be able to get my wife and daughter to do.

I love the pic of the big bow. Its all about scale, so how big is that fish? I also love the "fish on" pic.

I've been to Geraldine Lakes once with a girlfriend. It certainly was a wicked hike and not something I'd purposely pick for her first outing. When we got back to the trailhead, we found her car was broken into and wallet stolen. Its all those dog gam rural crooks. <_<

Guest TerryH

Hiketofish -- super post. I especially love the picture of the little guy holding the big trout. Hang onto that picture because it will get more special as the years roll by. I know, because I have one of my youngest son, that is amazingly similar. He was 5 at the time (now 33), and had hooked and landed a 5lb rainbow from Leech Lake in Jasper. Similar story -- spinning rod with bobber and a Doc Spratley, rubber raincoat with hood etc., fish almost as big as the holder/catcher. Terry

Hiketofish,

Fished with my dad lots when I was a kid. I can't tell you what it meant to me, and though I didn't know it at the time I know it now. You are a good man taking your kids up there, I promise they will remember it forever.

Now, can you take me next!