Fly Fusion Forums

Crimson Lake Area

well it looks like i am getting roped into camping at the campground on crimson lake. while i am not exactly thrilled about the whole idea, i might as well make the best of it.

heres where yall come in...can anyone mention a few decent spots to try fishing around there. i know the north sask river is super close but i have never been there and as i will most likely be surrounded by all sorts of family members i would like to actually give them a decent chance to catch a fish.

any help on this would be great because as it stands right now, it does not look too promising.

steven.

There's no fish in Crimson itself, but you'll be right in the middle of some of the best fishing in Alberta. Shunda is an hour away, Stauffer is about 45 minutes, the Baptiste is 30 minutes, Prairie, North Ram, Blackstone, even the North Saskatchewan itself. On the Norst Sask, there are a couple of good holes in the historic site park, for big rockies and smallto medium browns. There are a couple of eddies north of the park that have always produced pike up to 10 lbs as well. The best places for flyrodding are Shunda and the Baptiste, browns in Shunda and brookies in Baptiste. If you want the familiy members to get some fish though, just go down the road to Twin Lake, 5 minutes back towards Hwy 11 and fish for rainbows. I believe they have built a fishing dock along the north shore, and there are lots of places around the shoreline you can fish from with spinning gear. I spent 3 years working around Rocky and it is the absolute heart of brown trout fishing in this province. Sneak away for an afternoon and hit Shunda for sure, smallish dry fly about 14-16 and you'll get some browns for yourself. I envy you.

thanks for all the tips guys, especially the twin lakes. as much as i would like to get more of my family into fly fishing so i would have someone to fish with on a regular basis, the reality of it is if they cant catch fish, they lose interest pretty quick and spin fishing might just be the better choice for the youngsters.

i will try and post to let you know how things went.

steven.