Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone Mind Giving Me Some Pointers On The Bow?

Hi everybody! First off I'll introduce myself, my name is Greg and I moved to Calgary a year and a half ago from Prince George BC, I have been fly fishing for about 4 years now and can do well enough for myself on most lakes but I've never done much river fishing and just can't seem to get the hang of it so if there's is anyone on here who wouldn't mind me tagging along and maybe giving me a few tips about what I'm doing wrong I'd really appreciate the help, I would even pack the lunch and I could get get my girlfriend to put together a few sockeye sandwiches to boot!

There are tons of tips on this site but I think in general, you need to image nymphing as underwater dryfly fishing. Dragless drift but on the bottom. It all comes down to line and depth control and imaging how the hydraulics of the water is affecting your drift. If its not natural, the fish isn't going to take it. You will always miss takes because you can't see it but the more takes, the greater the chances of hooking up.

Search the internet and read books on water/river hydraulics.

ps. Welcome to the site.

Here are a couple of articles on the site, my Nymphing Primer (I've only been fly fishing a few years, and wrote down what I think I've learned), and Castuserraticus's hydrology article:

Nymph Primer

Flowing water in 3d

There is also a trip being auctioned by Maxwell on the Streamwatch auction site. If you take a trip with Max you will significantly shorten your learning curve to nymphing the bow, or however you choose to fish!

Good luck and welcome.

ps., don't think that nymphing needs to be your only option on the Bow. You should certainly have it in your arsenal, but there are other ways. Swinging, stripping and dead drifting streamers (Bow River buggers and cop car clousers are a good start) can be deadly, dry flies are very effective also, you just have to get into the action. Nymphing seems to be the status quo, but the beauty is you can catch fish many ways here. Good luck, just start exploring and keep your hook in the water.

Firday was the same. I tried everything in the box, but the "micro Juans" Wayne at Hansons tied me up rocked! I guess its more like a blood worm then a Juan but same diff.

I did stomach pump one, recovered 1 black leach, 6 blood worms, ~20 #18 size nymphs, no stones.