Fly Fusion Forums

Hopper

EasternFlyfisher

I'd eat that.

The only comments I can think of would be to try a different underwing material than foam if you are tying in bigger sizes. Sometimes too much foam can make the fly bounce out of the fishes mouth.

Also, I like to add a tuft of deer/moose/elk as a tail before I tie the foam body on but this may not suit the pattern you are using. Picture the same material you used for the wing extending out the "ass" of the fly.

Nice work overall though. This fly seriously makes me hungry.

I'd eat that.

The only comments I can think of would be to try a different underwing material than foam if you are tying in bigger sizes. Sometimes too much foam can make the fly bounce out of the fishes mouth.

Also, I like to add a tuft of deer/moose/elk as a tail before I tie the foam body on but this may not suit the pattern you are using. Picture the same material you used for the wing extending out the "ass" of the fly.

Nice work overall though. This fly seriously makes me hungry.

Thanks

Never really thought got the foam making it hard for the fish to take.Will have to try the extended body and see what it looks like.I really wasn't following any pattern.Probably saw it somewhere though.

hey unless you really like that pattern, I recomend looking up the "hopper juan" it's similar to that one and I enjoyed tying it so much I tied about 6 doz of them in about a week. That's a nice looking hopper though, from an amateurs perspective (Me) I suggest tying in a little peice of yellow foam where you tied the legs in as an indicator, also, yellow or red antron yarn does the same thing.

What is the name of this pattern, I'de like to tie a few myself, or maybe you could post the materials, thanks.

hey unless you really like that pattern, I recomend looking up the "hopper juan" it's similar to that one and I enjoyed tying it so much I tied about 6 doz of them in about a week. That's a nice looking hopper though, from an amateurs perspective (Me) I suggest tying in a little peice of yellow foam where you tied the legs in as an indicator, also, yellow or red antron yarn does the same thing.

What is the name of this pattern, I'de like to tie a few myself, or maybe you could post the materials, thanks.

I don't know what the name of it is.I made it up last night,but I'm sure I've something like it or close to it somewhere else.It's just deer body hair,craft foam,rubber hackle,yellow thread.I running very low on material right now,so I'm just playing around with what I got.

Nice hopper, keep tieing em up agriculture canada has released a report forecasting that southern alberta will have an epidemic of grasshoppers this summer............... bummer eh?

You have a link to that? Alberta Agriculture seems to say it's only going to be bad in the NW central areas of the province and south of Lethbridge:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$departme...sf/all/prm12974

• 5 weeks later...