Fly Fusion Forums

The Russians Are Here...

Thought I would quickly share a couple of my fishing experiences from the last few months...seems pretty weird but then weird things seem to happen to me from time to time..

In mid-january I went to a small pothole pond looking to ice fish for some rainbows. Another gentlemen arrived at the same time, after introducing myself I found out his name was Mikhail and he was from Russia, been in Calgary for 2 years. We fished together that day and got out a couple of more times together and he is now interested in learning to fly fish.

Fast forward to this past Sunday morning. I arrived at one of my go to inner city holes around 9 am only to find another angler riggin up right there. After a quick wave hello I proceeded downstreams a ways and got in the river. After limited succes, I was warming on the side with my thermos when the other fisherman waved me over. He then offered to kindly share the run. It was at that time that I inquired about his accent and yes he was from Russia, his name was Sergei and he had been in Calgary 4 years.

We fished together for the next few hours, mostly whitefish for me but he caught and slowly landed one of the largested Bow River Browns I have seen, easily 24" or better. We were both nymphing, with me trying to master the highsticking method.

Not sure why the Russians are targetting me but both new friends were gentlemen and very interesting to talk with in regards to our sport and their home country. Now if I can just parlay these relationships into a Kamchatka trip....

Nice to meet you comrades....sk