Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Line To Leader

Guest Foster

Guest Foster

allright so most the time i just have a buddy or the local fly shop to do my fly line to leader knot and i think its time for me to learn ive tryed with that tie fast tool but it has an arc in it and im wonder how do i fix this so that it is just straight.

If you do not have a loop a nail knot works well and is easy after a couple of practice runs. I use the clipped end off of a pen refill tube. Seal the end/knot with UV knot sense, aquaseal or crazy glue.

This link has been posted before:

http://www.animatedknots.com/nailknot/inde...imatedknots.com

P

buy a knot tying tool for 6 bucks, attach it to your vest/lanyard and save yourself a ton of hasssle ( nail knot is what i personally use).

Make your own nailknot tool from a hacksaw grooved, sander shaped 3/8" hardwood dowel and a fake wine cork:

This is shown with backing and fly line:

Picture_003.jpg

Picture_004.jpg

Picture_005.jpg

Picture_006.jpg

Picture_007.jpg

Picture_009.jpg

Some guys give each line(leader and fly line) a quick tug to set the knot but I find that with a bit of spit and a slow drawing of the knot together (with the sometimes required moving of the wraps together) makes a nice neat, slim knot.

j

yup that be it, just a traped line, it can also be backed off so you don't cutting the tip of your fly line.

Also just a double overhand knot can be used, one at the end of the fly line (so it won't pull through)and then another through the leader loop, use to use this for tying hooks on cod trawls, but also works for this application as well, knots should be as close together as possible.