Fly Fusion Forums

Upper K Yesterday

Anyone else at Upper K yesterday? There had to been others there from this forum as there were a lot of people there.

We got out there about 11 or 12 and parked at Interlakes and as per usual there were about 4 or 5 people working the outflow point. I watched for a bit and saw a few having some action. We made our way down the lake to get away from the crowd. I saw a fair number of fish cruising and a lot of risers but was not getting too much action. I am blaming it on how freaking hot it was and no wind to boot which was rare. Spent most of the early afternoon chasing the cruisers. At one point I was treated to a show where I watched a ~16inch Bull trout cruise about 4 feet out and then attack a school of minnows almost at my feet, really cool to watch. It wasn't until about 3pm when the wind picked up and temperature drop that I got some action. I managed 3 cutthroat in a span of 15 minutes, each was caught in one cast after the other. The three ranged in size from about 12 inches to a nice one at about 17inches, two caught on a prince and the other on a lightning bug. It was a great way to finish the day as we thought we should make our way back before the rain started.

Hey PeteZa,

Which guy were you? I was there with my buddy & we were both in those big hats chucking leeches. I was mostly on the west side of the channel. I got 4 bulls & a rainbow (nice one) and a sucker that was foul-hooked. Like you said, it was crowded, no wind (unusual) and slow. Did you slip & fall on the rocks on the east side? I think I saw you there. Anyhow, glad you got into some fish.

Good work guys! I've only been out there once and no success. I plan on trying again but I don't like crowds either. I'll try a week day maybe. Are you guys just wading or using a boat/floattube/pontoon? I'm a bit intimidated of fly fishing lakes so any little help or advice would make me feel a bit more confident. I catch more fish when I feel confident. ;)

Hey Glenbow,

I didn't fish the channel, decided to get away from the people. I was there with my wife and three others, only the wife and I were fishing. We walked west along the shore for a km or two. We did stop and watch you guys from the top before leaving (or starting as I don't remember what the people looked like that were fishing there).

Cdock, I agree with Glenbow as there is no need to wade there. The water drops off quick enough off the shore that you don't need to get far out.