Fly Fusion Forums

New To Alberta

hi guys,

I recently moved to Edmonton from Vancouver, BC with my 2 kids and wife. Now that I am here to stay where to fish when everything is frozen?lol Is there an indoor fly casting rink? :D

Anything close to Edmonton that is not frozen? I know you can fish the bow river all year round. That is the only river I know of and been there before.

I like to fish creeks and rivers and practice C&R. :angel:smail:

:wave_smile:

:cheers:

hi guys,

I recently moved to Edmonton from Vancouver, BC with my 2 kids and wife. Now that I am here to stay where to fish when everything is frozen?lol Is there an indoor fly casting rink? :D

Anything close to Edmonton that is not frozen? I know you can fish the bow river all year round. That is the only river I know of and been there before.

I like to fish creeks and rivers and practice C&R. :angel:smail:

:wave_smile:

:cheers:

Welcome to Alberta!! THere are a lot of streams and Rivers all through our great province including the Bow, Red Deer River, Staufer, Prairie creek, the Ram and that is to just name a few. If you ever want any inforamtion about the Red Deer river or any central Alberta stream just sen me an e-mail.

Thanks Tony

Yep, good luck finding any open water around here for a while yet - you're going to have to drive to find it. I'm eyeballing the mudpuddles on the side of the roads right now, may have to have a flick or two.

It's just pure torment reading the postings on here about the fishing people are doing on the bow.

Phil:

Welcome to Edmonton. The closest water that is open for fishing right now is the Stauffer. A spring creek with spooky Brown Trout. Another few weeks until others open on April 1. As for stillwater, most of the lakes are froze until Mid to late April.

In the meantime stop in at Northern Lights Fly Tyers - Trout Unlimited Edmonton. We meet every Wed. at 7:00 at Queen Mary Park Community League 108 Ave. 117 St. We have an extensive library containing over 600 book titles and 150 DVDs available to members. As one of the most active clubs anywhere we pride ourselves in educating in all aspects of fly tying and fly fishing as well as conservation. Visit us at www.nlft.org We will have 6 booths at the Boat & Sportsman Show this Thurs thru Sun if you get a chance drop in and see us.

sorry you had to move to edmonton.

Hey, I resent that! Edmonton is a great city, I would say much superior to Calgary...too bad about the trout fishing though! :laugh: I am a transplanted Edmontonian, as much as I liked it there, the fishing here makes up for a lot. Aside from the numerous stocked potholes surrounding nearby etown, you realistically have a two hour drive to most fly water, south or west, or I suppose north (grayling) in the open water season. You could head south west to stauffer creek it is open, I am not sure whether the red deer river is open (I believe it is?) but it has big browns and is a tailwater, much like the bow is, so you will find open water.

Good luck!