Fly Fusion Forums

Domain Names

Guest Sundancefisher

GoDaddy is $2 to register a new .com domain name only if you buy at least one of their other services. Otherwise it's $10.69 a year. I use namecheap.com and haven't had any problems with them. Their web interface is also easier to use and less cluttered than GoDaddy.

So you've already decided if you're going to host the site yourself or buy a hosting package right? If you're looking for hosting, then CanadianWebHosting is pretty good. Their servers are actually located in Vancouver and Toronto unlike a lot of the other "Canadian" hosting companies whose servers are in the US or overseas. Are you doing an e-commerce site? Need an SSL cert and a provider that'll host shopping cart software. If you're going to host it yourself you'll need to upgrade your home internet account to a business one and get yourself a server plus tech support. Lots of things to take into consideration.

Guest Sundancefisher
GoDaddy is $2 to register a new .com domain name only if you buy at least one of their other services. Otherwise it's $10.69 a year. I use namecheap.com and haven't had any problems with them. Their web interface is also easier to use and less cluttered than GoDaddy.

So you've already decided if you're going to host the site yourself or buy a hosting package right? If you're looking for hosting, then CanadianWebHosting is pretty good. Their servers are actually located in Vancouver and Toronto unlike a lot of the other "Canadian" hosting companies whose servers are in the US or overseas. Are you doing an e-commerce site? Need an SSL cert and a provider that'll host shopping cart software. If you're going to host it yourself you'll need to upgrade your home internet account to a business one and get yourself a server plus tech support. Lots of things to take into consideration.

Now I just need to finalize on picking a website designer... Fishing related and looking for a high end guy willing to work for a piece of the company.

SundanceFisher:

Check out this book:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/hour-W...rch+Top+Sellers

Lots of resources on getting quality websites including domain registration names for cheap. This guy is the king of outsourcing. If you are starting a company that requires a web presence and any type of office assistance, consider it a must read.

Smitty

SundanceFisher:

Check out this book:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/hour-W...rch+Top+Sellers

Lots of resources on getting quality websites including domain registration names for cheap. This guy is the king of outsourcing. If you are starting a company that requires a web presence and any type of office assistance, consider it a must read.

Smitty

Smitty, the link takes you to a book called The Four Hour Workweek. Is that what you were pointing to?

Yes, the link is deliberate. The author provides sources of companies like "Your Man In India", which can provide virtual office assistance, web design, etc.

Overall the book is a great read for any small entrepreneur, in terms of getting cheap but quality help, and access to cheap but quality resources. Perhaps some, maybe alot, of the material won't end up being terribly relevant to Sundancefisher's new venture, nevertheless, it is an eye opening book. Highly recommended.

Smitty

First up, register your domain through a domain registry only, stay away from registering your domain name through a host when you sign up for a package - that way, you don't have to pay the transfer costs if you change hosts. Just log into your registrar and update DNS. When it comes to a domain search, it's not easy cause many are taken up. You can go with a .ca if you want to personalize and advertise that you're canadian - but keep the name short and see if you can do unforgettable. The most memorable names are totally off the wall. One company here in town, i've seen the name once and have never forgotten it -Chickenlip Consulting. A local band name i'll never forget is called My Huge Ass. Doesn't guarantee success in any way, just makes people remember your name over so many others.

Second, you need hosting - and before you decide on that, what kind of website do you want? If it's a basic static site, you can generally host it with your ISP for free (or as part of your internet package) but if you want more complex, like a mysql/php driven forum or CMS website, then you'll need a host that can provide.

now you have to think about the crowd you're gearing for Sundance - and not to sound like an arse here but you can't put reams of information on your website like some of your postings here cause it won't get read by anyone. Short, well written content is the most important part of your site.

Keep it clean and simple and readable - information at your fingertips. The fastest way to get me to navigate away from a website is to have to search for what I need - like contact info. Many people want the personalized phone calls and if they can't find your number - like many sites out there - then it's customer lost.

The honest truth is many companies are realizing that websites really are a waste of time - trying to get google ranks and trying to target an audience isn't that easy. Many are now looking at the number of hits they are getting a month and realizing a nice simple - and to the point - one page site is better than pages and pages of info about them - they stick to the basics and it works for them.

Be prepared to advertise - twitter, facebook group, free advertising sites (yeah, there are a few out there) that cost you nothing but you have to be willing to do the footwork.

JMHO. and good luck

Dude, Google the word "smarmy", since you're such a Googlin' sonuvagun...

Aw, heck, I'll save ya the trouble...

smarmy - A certain attitude often accompanied by a squinty look and a superior smile that makes you instantly hate a person. :angel:smail:

First time I saw the google link I posted it cracked me up..

I woulda thunk that all the Google, cut and paste that happens by a certain member in the ongoing climate change one person posting thread that googling topics would be old hat...

There is a certain little cliquey group of you guys in here. Some of which take yourselves way too seriously. Speaking of smarmy..

Start a petition and get me banned so the 6 of you can have it all to yourselves..

Guest Sundancefisher
First time I saw the google link I posted it cracked me up..

I woulda thunk that all the Google, cut and paste that happens by a certain member in the ongoing climate change one person posting thread that googling topics would be old hat...

There is a certain little cliquey group of you guys in here. Some of which take yourselves way too seriously. Speaking of smarmy..

Start a petition and get me banned so the 6 of you can have it all to yourselves..

I found your link...well...kinda funny :angel:smail:

I was hoping someone on the forum had actually bought a domain name...what it cost...is their a yearly charge...was their any unforeseen problems.

Still...it is interesting how you set the link up...way more google savy than me.

Keep up the fun :ridemcowboy:

I found your link...well...kinda funny :angel:smail:

I was hoping someone on the forum had actually bought a domain name...what it cost...is their a yearly charge...was their any unforeseen problems.

Still...it is interesting how you set the link up...way more google savy than me.

Keep up the fun :ridemcowboy:

Glad to see someone has a sense of humor, kinda.

Well all this pisses me off, I've been sittin' on that link for 4 months waiting for one of the Cliquey Six to ask a dumb question....BBT and SJW have let my down again

Only took me 30 yrs or so after high school to FINALLY get in a clique. And what did I pick? A Fly fishing website clique. Oh, the power!

And I can get people banned? Awesome. Are we going to have meetings and everything? Are we the cool clique or the nerd clique?

Well all this pisses me off, I've been sittin' on that link for 4 months waiting for one of the Cliquey Six to ask a dumb question...

Your problem is you have been waiting for them to ask a question. They rarely ask questions however always on the spot with the answer.

Only took me 30 yrs or so after high school to FINALLY get in a clique. And what did I pick? A Fly fishing website clique. Oh, the power!

Who said you are in the clique? Talk about an assumption..

Your problem is you have been waiting for them to ask a question. They rarely ask questions however always on the spot with the answer.

Funny reading this from a guy who has posted nearly 400 times since September.