Fly Fusion Forums

Buying New Downhill Skis

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Hi all.

I am just thinking of getting back into skiing. I would prefer not to rent and instead find some skis on sale.

Has anyone seen anything or looked recently and can give me some directions on where to shop?

Thanks a bunch.

Sun

My advice is find a few pairs that you like (for the type of sking you do, price range, size, etc.) and check Kijiji or Craigs list for used... If you are getting back into it, then no real reason to buy new (this is just my opinion)... I would further suggest that maybe invest in a decent pair of boots (again find what's going to work for you and your feet, and if anything you could definitely buy new boots over a new pair of skis - again just my opinion)... I would think that sales are going to start up in a month or two, not necessarily at the present time, but I could be wrong... Nonetheless, start your search/education early and go to a specialized shop rather then a big box to get your info/possibly purchase (eg. would you go to Canadian Tire to gain information on buying a new fly rod?). Also most ski shops sell off their (higher end) demo gear towards the end of the season - in my exp. the demo gear doesn't get used/abused as much as their regular rental gear.

*edit* Oh yeah, I have had good expereinces (when I purchased downhill gear - I currently use Alpine Touring gear, exclusively) at Ski Cellar & Techno Sport.

I hope this info is helpful.

Good luck!

P

Hi all.

I am just thinking of getting back into skiing. I would prefer not to rent and instead find some skis on sale.

Has anyone seen anything or looked recently and can give me some directions on where to shop?

Thanks a bunch.

Sun

Guest Sundancefisher
My advice is find a few pairs that you like (for the type of sking you do, price range, size, etc.) and check Kijiji or Craigs list for used... If you are getting back into it, then no real reason to buy new (this is just my opinion)... I would further suggest that maybe invest in a decent pair of boots (again find what's going to work for you and your feet, and if anything you could definitely buy new boots over a new pair of skis - again just my opinion)... I would think that sales are going to start up in a month or two, not necessarily at the present time, but I could be wrong... Nonetheless, start your search/education early and go to a specialized shop rather then a big box to get your info/possibly purchase (eg. would you go to Canadian Tire to gain information on buying a new fly rod?). Also most ski shops sell off their (higher end) demo gear towards the end of the season - in my exp. the demo gear doesn't get used/abused as much as their regular rental gear.

*edit* Oh yeah, I have had good expereinces (when I purchased downhill gear - I currently use Alpine Touring gear, exclusively) at Ski Cellar & Techno Sport.

I hope this info is helpful.

Good luck!

P

I was thinking most people are going to ask 50% or more the price for used...I was hoping to find a new set on sale for 50% off.

I agree from what I remember and hear is that don't get used boots. As half the price is boots...maybe it is simplier savings to buy new...if there is stock around.

You can also find some pretty awesome deals on line. Most are in the States, but shipping isn't an outrageous cost, genterally <$50. You would need to do a bit of research on what type of ski you want. I would recommend you look at reviews for 2006-2008 skis then shop the on line discount stores for the ones you like. You can almost always find brand new skis from a few model years ago.