Fly Fusion Forums

Building A Tying Station

flyisdown

I am just wondering if anyone out there builds custom fly tying furniture, and could offer any guidance.

My girlfriend and I have been designing a fly tying workstation, and mapping out blueprints.

My lady works in Architecture. She is putting the diagram, dimensions, all info together for me, and laying it out in an Autocad program which gives all of the different views and angles.

We are just about ready to turn this thing over to builders for quotation, and we were initially leaning towards utilizing cabinet makers which her firm has established relationships with.

Types of wood for construction, finishes, hardware, custom pulls, any information to add value would be appreciated.

I am curious as to what is out there to be bought as well, for price comparison. At the end of the day, cost vs benefit of my own design will be evaluated. If having something custom built as a one off peice is too pricey, plan "b" may be to acquire something from a builder who is in the business.

I can find all sorts of links for this topic in the US, but there seems to be a lack of local web content to look at.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,

M

If it's a furniture type piece you after, contact Mike at Southbow, he knows someone that might be able to help you. They had a very nice free standing station at the show.

I did see the free standing chest and base ( think it was 2 peice) at te show. That was also very nice.

I am looking to something along those lines, something that could be in the livingroom of our place as opposed to in the basement.

Definitely more of a furniture description, than a bench.

I have an Oasis lap bench which is nice to work with in the interim.

I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you. I'd imagine it would be cheaper to pay freight from a shop that bangs off dozens of benches, but you never know.

Have you considered modifying a writing desk with some Oasis type organizers? I'm sure you could find plenty of rolls tops, writing desks, and chests of drawers that would fit the bill.

By the way, I'm very jealous!

I Have a custom built fly tying bench, i built with my dad. We built it out of G1s plywood and MDF. It looks good but i just dont use it as i like to sit infront of the TV and tie flies. One thing i wish it did have was more depth, but it does have enough draws 8 across the top and 3 in the front, and the middle one in front for garbage. If i get a chance ill take a couple pics. If it was me i would be sure that i would want to tie all my flies in the same place, or your sinking alot of money into something that you may not use all that much.

I'm sure you could find plenty of rolls tops, writing desks, and chests of drawers that would fit the bill.

Thats IMO the best idea, roll tops are easy to get.

I would think something custom is gonna be over 5k.You could buy a boat for that.

Sounds like a great project. I can really see a fly tying bench being a nice piece of furniture, tying flies it's self seems like such a classic/traditional activity it would be nice to display it as a piece of art. I build a table top bench and I would recommend, if you haven't already, look at and try as many benches as you can to get a feel for what you might want on it.

make sure to post pictures and keep us up to date