Fly Fusion Forums

Bullshead Resevoir

Hi Guys... I will be back in Ab for a few days next week, and wanted to head out to the Bullshead for a couple of days of fishin' those big bows there. Has anyone been out there lately and if so, what''s the fishing like....anything happening? Also, info on what they're bitting on would help so I can tie up some if I don't already have 'em on hand. Other than that, I guess I'll take some time to fish some of my favorite holes on the Bow. Hey, as long as the other half wants to work , I'll take the time for fishing.

I have to say Lake fishing here in the Okanagan has been pretty damned good this year. We have over 100 fishable lakes within a 2 hr drive of Vernon. Not all produce big fish, but they do produce! Some of my favorites are the high altitude ones that are still cold at this time of year. Hoping to set up with couple of guys from the local fly fish club to do some Salmon fishing on the Shushwap River in Sept....man am I looking forward to that. Can only imagine what it will cost me in new gear tho! Maybe I can get by with my 8 wt.

I must say I do miss the river fishing. When I lived in Calgary the Bow was so close I kinda took it for granted.

Appreciate any info you can supply on the Bullshead.

Thanks

Bob

Guest bigbadbrent

My honest opinion:

If you're in calgary, then stick with calgary. If your in medicine hat or anywhere near bullshead, then go for it. The only reason i say that is the fishing isn't what it used to be when people used to pull out 30 fish a day, with every fish over 20". The weed's will have started taking over, and i believe the average size now is down to below 17" with the very random one being caught over 20. I'd rather spend my time on the water on the bow, maybe arrange a float or try hitting the east slope streams..

Yeah the Bow has been excellent, but if you like numbers you can rack 'em up at BH like crazy. The fish get pretty aggressive too. Not sure what it's been like with the hot temps - hopefully Randy or bloom can give better info.

Just got in. I've spent a couple hours out there over the last couple of nights. Fishing has picked up again...really consistent, and there's more than a few 18''-19'' caught. I had my8 year old nephew out last night and he went 1 for 8 and I had my 6 and 4 year old out tonight. The 6 year old went 2 for 6 and the 4 year old just netted my fish. We only went straight out from the boat dock. Left the boat hooked up as I might head out tomorrow.

Fishing is starting to pick up. Size is still down, but we'll be catching the odd 20+'' come fall.

Same method as usual. Little leech (bloom leech) under indicator. Got to love it when 2 different boats ask a 6 year old what she using...and she outfished everyone but one!

The girls have their own spinning rods that we set up just like a fly rod (indicator above a fly). This has been working better as the rods are only 3' and 5' long. They have fought the odd fish on my 9' fly rod, but I need to reel for them as they need 2 hands to handle that long of a rod.

We're planning on building my 6 year old a 6'6'' 4 wt this winter. She's already picked out the blank and wraps.

Most lakes go in cycles, and most of us knew at the time that consistent fishing for 20''+ fish wouldn't be the norm (and we did enjoy it while it lasted). The original fish grew so big, so fast due to that stocking having no competition in a barren lake. Future stockings didn't have the same growth rate.

I think both stocking and harvest have played a role. The goal never was to create a lake with 26'' fish in it. The lake came about due to all the other lakes in the area being meated out once it started to produce fish around 14''. Bullshead was meant to provide a consistent fishery. Before, everyone would fish one lake because word got out that it was producing big fish. It would soon be meated out, and then we'd have to wait a few more years for it to grow big fish again. Bullshead now always has big fish.

We still caught more than enougth 20''+ fish this spring, and I expect to catch a few again this fall.

The lake's not always friendly to everyone though. It's good that a lot of people still get skunked going out there (in fact about half the boats/groups last night did).

Fished it on Tues night, first time there, had some luck, landed 7, lost a a handful, Green leech and a Caddis emerger combo was working for me. lots of mayflies as well. biggest was 20", only went because i was intown for business, hit the bow, she is smokin.