Wishin I Was Fishin

Tungsten

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a pic of ggp lovin a fish only meters in from the Salt...Aint no redds at the very mouth of a river (tides) ...Salmon can/will turn Color prior to totally committing to fresh, A lot of the times they move in and out of fresh and salt (To adapt) till ready to run kms/miles to spawn up river... :D

P1020291.jpg

So, pkk, Can ya give us some tips on "How To Catch Clean Fish" that are Spawning in the Rivers???... :blink::whistle:

Thanx...Jeff..

from what ive learned in my past two steelhead trips dude is u wana not swing so deep too find more aggressive and fresh fish more willing too chase.. stay away from tail outs late in the year aswell.. also dont fish super high up in a river system were its more likely a fish has traveled a long way and is now stagin... it wont always happen but u can limit you odds of hooking "stale" fish if u try too stay away from them... u might be militing your chances of how many fish u hook on a trip but i feel its worth it for my fishing needs! ive only hooked a few steel and havnt landed any of em but they were dime brite! and totally kicked my a$ n that is te way i like it!!! its also kinda like hunting bulls in alberta.. u can either fish the pools n runs they like too live and eat or look for pre spawn holding water and targed the stale fish..... please can this not turn into a mega argument tho! this thread has bin dope with alot of awsome pics from across out pretty country and it would be nice too keep it that way...

So, pkk, Can ya give us some tips on "How To Catch Clean Fish" that are Spawning in the Rivers???... :c: :whistle:

Thanx...Jeff..

So, Jeff, yes I can, and will give you some tips. Excuse me, I will assume you arent so familiar with steelhead fishing. :rolleyes:

- first off summer run steelhead dont spawn until spring and can be in some systems as early as july. so you can get them as early as july and until the system closes (most dec 31). the closure gives the fish approx. 3-4 months without harassment before they spawn. pacific salmon are different.

how to increase your chances of catching cleaner (fresh) fish: note there are no guarantees, but one can increase their chances.

- fish earlier in the season when the fish that are in havent been there very long (will be less of them in the river. as time progresses thru the season more fish and the bulk of the run will be in the system but this also means that the fish that came in earlier will have already been around for a while and will be colored up).

- the water temps are also much warmer earlier meaning more active fish

- fish the mainstem river and much closer to the ocean. therefore almost all are clean because they are travelling fish and dont hang around long.Fishing close to the chuck will give you the highest percentage of clean fish. the fish that are higher up in the system have obviously been around longer

- fish dry fly or light tips - the fish you get with this method will have had to move to your fly which is more typical of a fresh fish. Early on this is the only way to fish. later in the season you wont get as many fish this way but the chances are they are hotter.

There is no guarantee, and no one can say, I only catch clean fresh hot fish. but one can increase his chances. its all a percentage thing.

hope this helps

Peter

Here is a pic of ggp lovin a fish only meters in from the Salt...Aint no redds at the very mouth of a river (tides) ...Salmon can/will turn Color prior to totally committing to fresh, A lot of the times they move in and out of fresh and salt (To adapt) till ready to run kms/miles to spawn up river... :D

P1020291.jpg

what river might that be

PK

This is a post I made Dec. 22 2009

"Here is a link to one of Vancouver Island's enhancement programs for Salmon for those of you that are interested in learning more about Salmon. As long as people are fishing within the regulations when these streams are open to Salmon Fishing (and Steelhead, for that matter), then they have the right to do so."

http://www.oysterriverenhancement.org/

Sorry all, Didn't mean to get this fine thread off track...My fault...Lets keep it going along with all the great pics everyone have been sharing...Great pics guy's...Love em!!!

Cheers...Jeff..

005-9.jpg

010-9.jpg

054-2.jpg

124.jpg

144-1.jpg

My oldest really enjoys catching still water Bows...

035-2.jpg

024-5.jpg

Guest Jeremie

here are some island bows that i caught when i was about 4 years old, not on a fly though. The pike was caught on a fly at colin lake close to the border of NWT!

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

warning fish was kept...

IMG_0024.jpg

That bully was well over 30 inches... and broke me off!

Bummer. I really gotta target some big bullies this summer. Last summer my bull trout fishing was regulated to smaller one's on little creeks which was awesome, but I wouldn't mind hooking into a couple beasts this season.

Here's a few more randoms:

SilveryBrown.jpg

PA012018.jpg

DSCF2625.jpg

DSCF2551.jpg

DSCF2596.jpg

PA062042-1.jpg

PA062050.jpg