Fly Fusion Forums

My 2009 In Pictures

Great Vid Rick

Gotta love the shot of Grinder with the hog at 2:07 - Mark and Karen are old friends going back about 16 years - I'll have to zap him some props on facebook for that beauty.

That fish at the 2:07 mark was a PIG. 17lb Coho caught on a small clearwater stream locally.

I think you may have him confused with someone else. The Guy in the pic is my Buddy Mike DeBono and hi wifes name is Jo.

Rick

Love the redfish, and their under appreciated cousin the black drum!

I agree!!!!

Sight casting to these freight trains (Up to 40+lbs) in 18" of water is AWSOME!!!!! The Redfish in the pic was 25.5 lbs and man what a fight. I would compare them like this, The raw power of a Spring Salmon, with the Speed of a Coho!!

I can't wait to get back down to the New Orleans area to hunt these beautiful fish again!!!

Rick

I've often wondered what a 28" redfish in moving water would be like on a fly rod. My bet is "tough to land."

Actually, not that bad. They have REAL tough mouths, so as long as you remember to give it a few real hard hook sets, the fly usually says in well.

They do fight hard though, the one in the pic took us WELL into the backing of a 9wt reel 3 times before coming to the boat. If I remember correct, it was a 35-40 minute all out battle with that PIGGIE!!!!!

Rick

Actually, not that bad. They have REAL tough mouths, so as long as you remember to give it a few real hard hook sets, the fly usually says in well.

They do fight hard though, the one in the pic took us WELL into the backing of a 9wt reel 3 times before coming to the boat. If I remember correct, it was a 35-40 minute all out battle with that PIGGIE!!!!!

Rick

I didn't mean the fly staying in. I meant a 28" redfish with a river helping it fight. The strength combined with those wide bodies downstream of you? Now that would be fun. Makes me want to go fight a salmon somewhere so I can compare. Oh, and the drum fight just as good. The little ones actually fight better I think. As they get big they just get STRONG. They don't have the speed of the reds, but they have more power. They have no sport value really because they are butt ugly. We call them Big Uglies. I caught one around 40 lb off my dad's pier years ago. On a short shark rod with 80 lb test, drag cranked all the way down so he couldn't pull me under the pier and cut me off. Basically a tug of war with a 40 lb fish on a 5 ft broomstick and no drag. Fun, fun, fun. My muscles burn just thinking about it.

Anyway, looks like you had a great year.