Fly Fusion Forums

Bonefish Rod Suggestions

Cutman

I am looking for a fly rod I can use for bonefish on an upcoming trip, but also one that can cross over to streamer fishing on the Bow and elsewhere. I have a 4 and 6 wt right now, and was thinking an 8 wt. would be just heavy enough for bonefishing, but also good for chucking streamers.

I prefer a medium to a fast action rod. Anyhow have any suggestions for a rod under $300? I have been happy with TFO rods and have been considering the TiCr.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Eight weight is a very popular choice for bonefish. My go to bonefish rod is a 9 wt, a medium-fast action G. Loomis GL3.

The 9wt covers bonefish, permit, junior tarpon, salmon and steelhead. Wind is big consideration if you are bonefishing in the Caribbean. I never feel over or under gunned with the 9wt.

I have two TFO TiCr's in 11wts. The TiCr's is definitely fast action. If you prefer a medium-fast action rod you might want to try casting the TiCr before buying one.

I'll plug the Wind Warrior 4-968F at $249, but, whatever you choose, get it lined properly and get out and practice shooting line in the wind before you go. You will need 80' with one back cast.

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniq...se_to_bone.aspx

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniq...h_retrieve.aspx

j

Guest Sundancefisher

I used 2 Sage Xi2 8 weight rods when I went down to Belize. I thought they worked very well. I also landed a 15 lb permit on it as well as numerous baracudas and jacks. I did break one 8 weight in the first hour of casting... I think my weighted fly clipped the tip and it broke. I would say bring any other 8 weight rod...as a spare.

Depending upon the size of the bones, expected wind conditions and other species...I think 2 - 8 weights a nine weight and a 10 weight works.

Cheers

Hello all.

I’m by far not an expert but have spent some time on the flats over the years and also purchased my #8 with the same hope of using them for both fresh and salt water. Presently I’ve been using an IM*TFO rods for the last 8 years and last year picked up a newer TICR for a trip to Andros. Both are very stiff and can punch out the line in a fairly good breeze and are ok chucking streamers.

While on Andros I had the opportunity to fish out of a proper bonefishing skiff c/w guide, and what I found as compared to wading is that often times the fish are spotted 90’ but just as often the buggers will just appear 30’ away. The TFO rods had no real problems at the longer distances but were defiantly over gunned or to stiff at shorter distance especially if you have to do a quick draw cast at those buggers @ 30”. The guide had a #9 line that I tried and it really helped on the short cast but affected the longer cast into the wind.

I had the chance to cast many fine rods during my stay on Andros from Loomis to Sage and two rods really stood out as far as an all round rod that does it all. The best was the new Scott 9’ 9weight saltwater rod and the other was the Loomis Cross Current GLX. Both threw excellent loops, were fun to cast and could cast into the wind at long and short distances. I’d rate the sage XI2 a close third. Another rod that really surprised me was a ST. Croix unsure whether it was the Avid or the top of line rod but it was great, a little slower than the rest but had all the same attributes of a great flats rod. So when you decide to purchase your rod keep these qualities in mind, ability to cast long or short in the calm or wind, able to pick up and drop the fly with good accuracy with little to no back casting (this is really important) and most of all fun to cast.

Good luck on the flats; it’s a new world out there.

Sorry about the long reply.

Ray

You will need 80' with one back cast.

The information answering your question as to rod weight has been sound and correct.

However the statement indicating you must be able to cast 80 feet with a single back cast

is somewhat flawed. For most Bonefishing you are far better served practicing, and mastering,

accuracy out to 50 to 60 feet. Always practice using targets, as opposed to just "throwing string".

It's also not a bad idea to practice on Chinook days so as to get used to casting in wind. Change

things up every once in a while so that the wind is coming form different directions, not always from

your back. Once you have hit the target 5 out of 5 casts then change directions. We tell people they should

practice to be consistent hitting a Frisbee sized target at 50 feet.

This will prepare you for the accuracy needed for Bonefishing. As you practice more the increased distance

should come along but if I had a choice I would take hitting the target at 50 feet over being able to throw bombs

to 80 feet all day long.

Have fun on your upcoming trip!

Mike Gifford

Country Pleasures

Guest Sundancefisher
The information answering your question as to rod weight has been sound and correct.

However the statement indicating you must be able to cast 80 feet with a single back cast

is somewhat flawed. For most Bonefishing you are far better served practicing, and mastering,

accuracy out to 50 to 60 feet. Always practice using targets, as opposed to just "throwing string".

It's also not a bad idea to practice on Chinook days so as to get used to casting in wind. Change

things up every once in a while so that the wind is coming form different directions, not always from

your back. Once you have hit the target 5 out of 5 casts then change directions. We tell people they should

practice to be consistent hitting a Frisbee sized target at 50 feet.

This will prepare you for the accuracy needed for Bonefishing. As you practice more the increased distance

should come along but if I had a choice I would take hitting the target at 50 feet over being able to throw bombs

to 80 feet all day long.

Have fun on your upcoming trip!

Mike Gifford

Country Pleasures

I would agree but this is also dependent upon location.

1. In Belize with bones between 12 to 24 inches and in schools of 50 to 500 and not fished heavily you can often get 20 feet away. Generally 50 foot cast is fine. Their are often treed island which cuts the wind and also a great guide will guage your casting ability and then position the boat upwind to help you cast. Often he knows where the fish will be and can position correctly.
  2. That being said Florida and some areas around Cuba can have massive bones and they are heavily fished heavily and they travel single or in groups to 3 or 5 or so. These fish spook easily and some will say you need to cast 80 feet to have the best success.
  3. Other areas can have a combination of 1 and 2 above.

I am of moderate skill (maybe that is generous) and I had no trouble casting to bones and permit. Casting massive flies into the wind for tarpon...not so good with accuracy...plus panic. :)

Cheers

:unsure: Best I forget about bones then

The majority of bonefish I've caught sight fishing have been in 50 - 60' range. Unless fish are spooky (like say in Florida) or your approach and presentation is consistently off you should catch fish being a reasonably proficient caster at that range and in moderately windy conditions.

Unless you will be targeting larger heavily pressured fish I wouldn't get hung up on not being able to make 80' casts. As Country Pleasures has said, any time spent practicing before a trip is time well spent!

Keep your expectations within reason based on your ability. If getting a guide and he is a good one, he will do the same and you should have a good trip in that respect. Overall weather conditions at the time of your trip is what it is and largely out of anyone's control. Numbers of fish are nice for sure but there's a lot more to the experience out there.

[*]That being said Florida and some areas around Cuba can have massive bones and they are heavily fished heavily and they travel single or in groups to 3 or 5 or so. These fish spook easily and some will say you need to cast 80 feet to have the best success.

[*]Other areas can have a combination of 1 and 2 above.

Hi Sundance,

Have you fished either of these locations to offer this opinion?

Guest Sundancefisher
Hi Sundance,

Have you fished either of these locations to offer this opinion?

I have fished Belize. Friends have fished Cuba and Florida. They all say the same thing. Larger bones 5-15 lbers travel in small groups or singles and are very skittish... The large schools I fished for in Belize were often dumb as nails. One area where they went to 24 inches were much more wily. Shallow running bones are wary of casts and line shadow. Deep mudding bones could care less.

The other casting consideration is are you in a boat or wading. Wading in 1-4 feet deep.

the rod i would reccomend is the sage xi3 or a greys saltwater platnium xd. Both are extremlyt action and have amazing backbone. id use them in a 9 weight because then they are versatile tto permit, jack and baracuda if you run ito them. then when you get back to canada head out to the west coast for some salmon!

Guest Sundancefisher
The Bonefish in Cuba are hardly heavily fished. Maybe on the north side of the country with commercial nets.

My buddy who fishes Cuba a lot refers to one area where they are large and heavily fished by avid anglers. While heavily fished is always relative...he said the ones he likes in Cuba are way more skiddish in some places that others. To me that is a sign of more intensive angling in some areas over others. He tends to agree. He said Florida is way, way worse..skiddish wise.

In Belize...I encountered that also. In the areas with larger bones they were at times more skiddish that in the areas with tons of bones.