Fly Fusion Forums

New Reel = Good Fishin'

mkm

Finally broke down yesterday and bought a new reel from wholesale. The service was exceptional and the guy helping me seemed more excited about the Greys reel I bought then I was. With my new reel I decided to hit the bow and try her out. Third cast...BAM...massive rainbow takes to the air and runs me down the bank before self releasing. I decided to head further down the bank and fish my way back up. As soon as i hit the water I found myself amoungst massive numbers of rising fish - the BWO hatch was on. Stupid me left all my BWO patterns at home so I used a small adams which seemed to work well. As the risers slowed I changed up to a hopper-dropper combo. The first hole I came upon proved worthwhile as I hooked into a wicked fighting brown. Trying to land the fish proved to be quit the task but eventually I netted it...taped at a hair short of 22''. Maybe it was the new reel or just good timing.

post-165-1186777522.jpg

Nice brown! There's a lesson here: spend lots of money on fishing and the fishing gods will reward your sacrifice of money! I hope so anyway, since I just purchsed new waders and boots today and can't wait to try them out tomorrow.