Fly Fusion Forums

The Canadian Fly Fisher - Readers Showcase

Hello,

I've been a casual angler since I was a kid but this is my first year fly fishing and I'm definitely "hooked". I often hear of new fly fisherman going a season or two without catching anything because of trying to teach themselves, and I have to admit that I'm very spoiled because my best friend and fishing partner - Corey - has been fly fishing for 9 years now and is very knowledgable. Corey has been showing me the different techniques and although I've only been fly fishing since April I've had a very productive season so far. My very first trip out was on the Crowsnest River down by Bellevue, Alberta back in April and I managed 4 10-12" rainbows to hand.

My personal bests so far for each species are a 22" Brown trout from the Bow here in Calgary, a 22" Rainbow (first ever dry fly fish) from the Columbia River in Castlegar, BC. Still haven't hooked into a big Cutthroat yet, but the season is still young! I'm told these are very respectable for a rookie! haha

But so far I have to say I'm proudest of my very first Bull Trout - this 24" beauty from the Sheep River in southern Alberta:

IMG_3785.jpg

He was caught by stripping "Lefty's Deceiver" through a deep pool with a 4 weight TFO TiCr. Man, I sure felt the power of these beautiful fish! Corey and I pulled 4 of these beauty's out of one hold in a span of 15 minutes.. the smallest being 24"!

I am a subscriber to your magazine and would love to be considered for the next Readers' Showcase.

Tight Lines!

Birchy,

First year for me too. My "teachers" to date have been Max, MissinTheBow, Toolman, my friends Didier and Kevin, and Wayne and Trevor Hanson (but I don't know about Wayne. Mostly just tries to get my money ;) ). This forum has helped immensely as well. To say I've been fortunate is an understatement. I was thinking of this the other day as I come to the end of my first year. PBs:

Rainbow 26.5" (may be awhile before I top that)

Brown 22"

Bull 17"

Cuttie, maybe 15"? And some little brookies and a few cuttbows.

Also, a 22" Redfish and a 20" Spanish Makerel in the salt.

I know its not about stats, but I cannot help myself. Anyway, great first year for us both! BTW, would truly enjoy fishing with you and Corey someday. Hope you make it in the showcase!

Edit:

By the way, I proofed your post again. Is it "hold" or "hole"? I thought hole, but maybe not? Hold makes sense to.

Also, I've read enough of your stuff to know how excited you are about fly fishing. I would not be afraid to let that come out a bit more in your submission, IMHO.

Birchy,

First year for me too. My "teachers" to date have been Max, MissinTheBow, Toolman, my friends Didier and Kevin, and Wayne and Trevor Hanson (but I don't know about Wayne. Mostly just tries to get my money ;) ). This forum has helped immensely as well. To say I've been fortunate is an understatement. I was thinking of this the other day as I come to the end of my first year. PBs:

Rainbow 26.5" (may be awhile before I top that)

Brown 22"

Bull 17"

Cuttie, maybe 15"? And some little brookies and a few cuttbows.

Also, a 22" Redfish and a 20" Spanish Makerel in the salt.

I know its not about stats, but I cannot help myself. Anyway, great first year for us both! BTW, would truly enjoy fishing with you and Corey someday. Hope you make it in the showcase!

Dang! I already sent it in. I totally should've added the "experience and knowledge of the forum members on flyfishcalgary.com has truly been invaluable". Oh well.. I can email them again to add that part.

You can never have too many fishing buddies rick. As soon as i'm healed up from my surgery we'll have to plan a trip.

Yes.. it was supposed to be hole. I noticed that after the fact. But thought the same as you.. hold works as well. haha

I feel so inexperienced against you two 26.5" & 24" are hard to beat for first year ^_^ .

Maybe I could be lucky enough to tag along with all the experience you two could shed on me :P

Chidders,

Anytime. Though my luck has little to do with me and lots to do with who I've met.

My first year I caught one 14incher. Thats it. The following year wasn't much better. My two fishing "buddies" weren't much help. I asked them to tell me what I'm doing wrong. They said "Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it.", and not much more.

I'm glad to report that I'm fishing circles around both of them these days. And, to boot, giving them advice, and flies, and getting them into more fish then they would normally have gotten into.

Compare that to when I took GAW out for the first time. I strung his rod up, told him where to stand, how to cast and what to look for. Before I could set myself up, he had an 18in on. He didn't even know how to bring it in. "Strip Man!. Strip!". After releasing it I continued to set myself up and before I could get into the water, he had another one on!

Having someone show you what to do takes years off the learning curve. That man is a flyfishing demon now. He's even out fished me a couple times. :)