Fly Fusion Forums

Big Butts

Tungsten

im no expert but it looks like that cap is attached too the reelseat.. u might halfto replace teho whole thing.. wich isnt really all that major.. i would talk too wayne down at fishtales.. he has bin a major insight for me on a few rod building related questions!

That cap may be just epoxied in. Put a pan of water on to boil, about 1/2" of water should do it, dip the butt end into the boiling water for about 45 seconds, remove then try and pull it off . There are fighting butt adapters available to install in the reelseat for removable fighting butts.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/cork-fighting-butts/

j

one of my old cheap rods has a butt,so i heated it and removed.But its too small of a butt i would like something longer almost like a two hander so i can do some of these spey casts.Its the same size as the Eastfork one 15.5mm but as you can see in the 1st pic i will have to remove the reel seat and cut the blank down to make room for the insert.My question is are they all the same thread?Can i use this insert and just go buy a longer butt?

rodlocker022large.jpg

Hey that looks good,so that smaller piece should fit inside of my blank?So i don't have to cut my blank.I don't have a set of calipers how do i measure the I.D. of my blank?Its a 6wt 10' Eastfork.

Edit;after looking at your pic i see i will still have too cut my blank down for it to fit.Or does it fit over the blank?

Thanks for answering all my newbie questions Jack.

The O.D. of the insert is 9.58 MM. so you'll probably have to take some of the rod blank down, inside. Just make sure there is plenty of epoxy filling any voids between that blank and the reel seat, heat then mix epoxy then pour it around the blank while warm and thin, that should fill the voids. Allow to set, then drill the blank out just enough to fit the insert.

OK, Grey Cup is on. I'm gone!

j

Picked up a nice butt today and finished my project.I drilled out the blank enough to get the new flange in, mixed up some epoxy and pored enough in to fill the end of the blank and the other voids.After it was dry i poured in some more and installed the new flange.Other then getting epoxy all over the place it worked well.Good thing it isn't any longer as it just fits back in the case.

rodlocker024.jpg