Fly Fusion Forums

Worm Hooks

Tungsten

When i first started tying worms i used the mustad worm hooks,i found that with such a large gap on the larger sizes i was poking some fish in the eye so i quit using them.I now use 10- 16 streamer hooks for the smaller gap and put a little bend to the side but still get the odd smaller fish in the eye.I guess no matter what hooks you use its still going to happen.Was wondering what you guys used to make your worms and why?

Mike, I remember Maxwell mentioning a few years back when I first joined the site that all you need top do is just bend the mustad hooks off to the side a tad bit and then they will no longer poke the fish in the eyes (how's that for a run on sentence!!)... Works well!

Cheers,

P

When i first started tying worms i used the mustad worm hooks,i found that with such a large gap on the larger sizes i was poking some fish in the eye so i quit using them.I now use 10- 16 streamer hooks for the smaller gap and put a little bend to the side but still get the odd smaller fish in the eye.I guess no matter what hooks you use its still going to happen.Was wondering what you guys used to make your worms and why?

Well i bend my hooks off to the side for looks and if i use a large hook like a 4-6 streamer i still get a high exit point, so it can still hit the eye.Maybe with the worm hooks its different never tried.I've crimped the gap down before with vise grips on large hooks that seems to work the best.

Sorry Mike, I should have qualified... This is for worm hooks exclusively...

P

Well i bend my hooks off to the side for looks and if i use a large hook like a 4-6 streamer i still get a high exit point, so it can still hit the eye.Maybe with the worm hooks its different never tried.I've crimped the gap down before with vise grips on large hooks that seems to work the best.