Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone Got Some Decent Pics Of Athabascan Rainbows?

Taco

Guest Sundancefisher
Atha-bow from JNP

post-329-1258301702.jpg

This so far is the best picture of a traditional Athabasca Rainbow that I have seen. Very clear parr marks.

Fortunately however there are new regulations a foot to protect this sub species. Some people may call protection "a little draconian" but generally your average reasonable person can see the problems. With limited habitat, small size and proximity to growing angling communities one can not reasonably assume that they can sustain any amount of significant harvest that is occurring and will only get worse.

Here's a rather sad looking Carson Creek Athabow from the Swan Hills (Or is it the Virginia Hills)

CarsonCr0806016.jpg

Actually Sundancefisher, there may be help on the way. Edson-area biologist George Sterling previewed some proposed new 2010 regs at the spring Fisheries Roundtable which will see everything from the Freeman to the JNP boundary go C and R for Athabascans after some recent electro-testing found a disturbing rise in brookie pops. Plus a hefty limit for brook trout.

Here's hoping George gets his way.

Don't forget inbreeding and introduced species as risks. I certainly hope there is hope for what seems to be a truely Alberta fish. I'm all for Bulls but their distribution seems wide & the protection they are recieving seems to have them well established every where I've fished in the last few years. Save the A.B. this is an issue I could really get on board with.

Actually Sundancefisher, there may be help on the way. Edson-area biologist George Sterling previewed some proposed new 2010 regs at the spring Fisheries Roundtable which will see everything from the Freeman to the JNP boundary go C and R for Athabascans after some recent electro-testing found a disturbing rise in brookie pops. Plus a hefty limit for brook trout.

Here's hoping George gets his way.

I like what I'm hearing, it's about time that the native species take precedence.

Ok one gratuitous cutty pic, not the best

dsc000866608618.jpg

I cheated a bit, it comes out of the Happy Valley part of the OM, not too far from the "fee for access" ranch

Here I'll make up for it, these are Porkie fish

shjune013ch3.jpg

beaverckcuttsr0.jpg

aug1troutsharples018oe7.jpg

Beauty fish Neil, I need to revisit that part of the Province, it's been over 25 yrs and then I didn't realize how special those fish I was catching were

Forget about my Athabascan rainbows, those cutties from the little creeks in the Porcupine Hills are not only truly exquisite but living on the edge. Thanx for sharing Taco.

I only hope that those ranchers on the Trout creek drainage can get their heads together and do a riparian protection project.

Forget about my Athabascan rainbows, those cutties from the little creeks in the Porcupine Hills are not only truly exquisite but living on the edge. Thanx for sharing Taco.

I only hope that those ranchers on the Trout creek drainage can get their heads together and do a riparian protection project.

I believe they are becoming far more aware for the need for riparian conservation, most farmers/ranchers have a connection to the land that the rest of us can only dream of. The problem is the need to make a living while undoing the damage.