Fly Fusion Forums

Baja Continued

rhuseby

Continued from the last Baja post.

Nature compensates us, however. I heard about fishing at Puerto Escondido, about 20 minutes drive from Loreto. A really pretty spot that gave me about 30 fish over three short trips, including this cubera snapper. This was my heaviest fish of the trip, about 6 lbs. I had a hell of a time keeping out from the pier pilings and an old wrecked boat on the shoreline.

CuberasnapperSmall.jpg

From the exact same spot I landed two pargo amarillo. Beautiful fish and hard fighters like all saltwater types.

IMAG0130Small.jpg

I also landed my largest leopard grouper there, and lost another on about twice as big trying to get the lip gripper on him.

LeopardgrouperSmall.jpg

This is the Sea of Cortez in between Loreto and Puerto Escondido. Gorgeous.

IMAG0136Small.jpg

Reinforcing the driving thing, there are shrines beside the highway almost everywhere. This one is more elaborate than most, but they all mark the site of a fatality.

shrineSmall.jpg

Just above Santa Rosalia, some of the scenery you have to keep you alert.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz87/rhuseby/abovesantarosaliaSmall.jpg[/iM

There isn't much wildlife in Baja, but lots of birds. Meep, meep!!!!

roadrunner3Small.jpg

This was one of the last fish I caught, a California halibut. I had caught several smaller ones, but this one went to the frying pan.

californiahalibutSmall.jpg

All in all, it was a fantastic trip. I'm already planning the first of several returns (hopefully, given that I'm a fud). Next time, I'll have a brother along and a better camera. If anyone wants a bit of advice, send me a pm and I'll let you know what I learned.

Sweet! Looks like fun, perhaps I will have to try the mexican salt this winter. Guerro Negro hey, I spent a few days drinking beer there 7 years ago, crazy town, if I remember it was actually relatively cold and desolate there!

It's definitely desolate and it was a bit cool. Still sat around in shirtsleeves reading till after sundown. I've gotten to point that no matter where I go, I'm taking along some kind of fly rod and a few flies. There's nearly always something to catch, no matter where you go.

Rickr

I used the cartreuse and white clouser for about 90% of my fishing. Other flies catching fish were white deceivers with lots of flash, and 1/0 Crazy Charlies in olive and tan. The chartreuse clouser has taken almost every saltwater species I've landed, even when it hasn't been the most productive pattern. And yes, pacresel, it has caught more than a few freshwater fish as well.