Fly Fusion Forums

Sterilizing Trout

With all the knowledge available for more than 50 years, Calgary officials designed a drainage system to carriy rain, snow and street effluent straight into the river. Bad enough but now we learn one of the chemicals used to "de-ice", our streets...sterilizes male trout.

Nice.

We seem to progress as a species about once every millennium.

Details man! Details!

P

With all the knowledge available for more than 50 years, Calgary officials designed a drainage system to carriy rain, snow and street effluent straight into the river. Bad enough but now we learn one of the chemicals used to "de-ice", our streets...sterilizes male trout.

Nice.

We seem to progress as a species about once every millennium.

Found this on a quick search. Don't know if that is what is being referred to, but I don't like the part about "removal of stocked species in some areas" all that much, but I think they are talking about the "upper bow".

Get used to it Rick, the restoration part is just starting............

Is this topic from a recent news event?

Calgary Storm Water management

There is alot of crap running into the river... much of it toxic. The city could have SWM ponds, catch basins, treatment wetlands, etc, but they cost money and that is not what Calgarians are complaining about. If you want better SWM talk to your alderman/council.

For some reason folks like de-icer... allows people to drive faster? The word snow causes accidents in Calgary, so I'm not sure if it makes things safer. A better option would be to limit the speeds to under 50km and provide more mass transit.

The crap in the sewage system is different from stormwater and the best way to stop that is to stop flushing pills down the drain and get rid of societies dependence on birth control drugs. Also stop buying (and using) products that have sodium larreth sulfates (and other hormone impacting chemicals) which might affect gender.

If you live in Calgary... you are Calgary.

that is brutal! was it the "new" one they were using last year?

harps.. they just started building some freshwater marshes in fishcreek.. 3 large ones... couple square kms each fom what ive seen! lots of signs n whatnot up aroudn the park.. they will be taking out the stormdrains in that area and hopefully mroe as they build similar structures in the city!

This is how some Ontarians speak of Albertans...

It's true...

same with folks from Ontario and Canada and the US of A, etc.

Votes, letters to MPs/MLAs, etc The public pushes the government.

If you flush drugs down the toilet or use harmful substances that won't be taken out of the sewage, then you ARE part of a problem.

I am part of a problem, I do my best to minimize it, but I have accepted that I have an impact.

I live in Alberta... I am Alberta (unfortunately a verys small part of Alberta, but my riding is Liberal).

If you live in Calgary, you have a say... you are Calgary.

Max,

It's good to know about those marshes. I think they are a great idea and should be standard at every end of pipe, from irrigation to stormwater to sewer. I think they do a good job at preventing temperature pollution, trapping nutrients and chemicals, and moderating flows to the river... plus they provide great habitat for bugs and stuff that trout eat!

I don't really know enough about what Calgary does for the river...

If you flush drugs down the toilet or use harmful substances that won't be taken out of the sewage, then you ARE part of a problem.

No problem here. I put all my waste products in handy plastic bags that I get from local stores. If it's really obnoxious I double bag it. After that I put it in my recycling bin. From what I understand Calgary's recycling ends up in the same land fill sites as the rest of my garbage but that's okay. As long as they don't poke too many holes in the bags it should be at least a couple of generations before any harmful substances I ingest leak out in to the environment. Heck, there's even a good chance that they will be far less potent by then. I also don't use soap :derby racer: so I consider myself to be quite an environmentalist.