Fly Fusion Forums

Fish With Holes In Them

kungfool

Caught 2 different trout in the past couple of weeks that each had a single dime size hole (cone shape) in their sides. The wounds were open and red looked pretty nasty. Anyone else see a fish with these on the bow before? Wish I had the camera with me but didn't sorry.

sumn like poor litlle broonie dude i think would be bird damage...

sept200032.jpg

few more ideas that hit me diggin through pics dude...if its in the tail part on the sides it may be females diggin redds or if tehres a notch above the tail or a gash like this males war wound after the spawn...

dsaflk012.jpg

the last fish fish i caught in early june i think lastyear shortly after the first spawners moved back up...first lil broone was in uhh, when the october caddis hatch :lol:

Yes, last Wednesday or so I caught a RB of about 14" with a dime size red hole in it's side. It's eye on the other side was also a bit bloody. I was fishing across from the outlet to Fish Creek sewage plant. I don't know what could cause such a hole. I've seen fish pecked by herons, small round hole on the back. An osprey's talons would't be so round. What about a parasite burrowing out?