Fly Fusion Forums

Police Lake Regulations Signage

adc

I'm just wondering how many of you have fished at Police Outpost in the last couple of years since the regulations were changed to delayed harvest..........Am wondering about your thoughts on whether the signage informing anglers of the new regulations is adequate......

I'm just wondering how many of you have fished at Police Outpost in the last couple of years since the regulations were changed to delayed harvest..........Am wondering about your thoughts on whether the signage informing anglers of the new regulations is adequate......

I havent fished from the boat launch area, but the day use area on the west end (the boardwalk to the island, etc) could use some bigger... BOLDER... signs!! :$*%&: I don't think a billboard would stop some of the people that go there from doing what they do though.

Guest tallieho

I strongly agree with hawgstoppah. If they were to do,signage similair to the bear/cougar warning signs on all the trails that would sure go along way.I also thought it would make a great place,[a post]with the reg's right at the cleaning stn.I didn't fish the place much this year those warning's of the grizzly's kept me away.I sure hope they resolve that.I no in the winter/spring the F&W,haul/fly into the back country road-killed animals maybe they should be doing it down there in the fall of the year.just my 2 cents worth

Guest Sundancefisher
I strongly agree with hawgstoppah. If they were to do,signage similair to the bear/cougar warning signs on all the trails that would sure go along way.I also thought it would make a great place,[a post]with the reg's right at the cleaning stn.I didn't fish the place much this year those warning's of the grizzly's kept me away.I sure hope they resolve that.I no in the winter/spring the F&W,haul/fly into the back country road-killed animals maybe they should be doing it down there in the fall of the year.just my 2 cents worth

I always struggle with paying more for signs when people should be aware of the regulations. I temper that and agree better signage is a necessary evil since a fat lot of good regulations do when the fish get killed by idiots.

Maybe the signs should be a bit more engaging?! For example have a sign at the beginning of the road, "Do you know the regs for this lake"?! Then another... "Are you sure?!", as the regs have changed for this lake!", and then they lead to a larger sign that lists the regs and highlights the changes... Just a thought/idea!

P

Signage should be added, improved at all lakes, and well known parking spots on the rivers and creeks. I don't think that it will have an impact on blatant poaching, but talking to a few CO's most guys break the rules becuse they simply don't know or read the regulations...

I know ignorance is no excuse but this is the reality. If the local regs were posted at each area you bet that infractions would drop. It would remove the ignorance plee.

I explained to 3 different anglers this year that they had to pinch barbs. Seemed like nice enough people, and were bummed that they were breaking a law.

Better signage would go a long way in aiding with enforcement.

Signage should be added, improved at all lakes, and well known parking spots on the rivers and creeks. I don't think that it will have an impact on blatant poaching, but talking to a few CO's most guys break the rules becuse they simply don't know or read the regulations...

I know ignorance is no excuse but this is the reality. If the local regs were posted at each area you bet that infractions would drop. It would remove the ignorance plee.

I explained to 3 different anglers this year that they had to pinch barbs. Seemed like nice enough people, and were bummed that they were breaking a law.

Better signage would go a long way in aiding with enforcement.

u betcha dude!!!!!! more signs everywere!!!!!!!!!!!!!! more charges might stick that way too!!!!!

I agree, lots of SIMPLE signs.I no there not that nice to look at but you have to make it so a 10 yr old can understand them.I once caught a guy fishing over the fence into the fish ladder at Carseland,not 2' from the sign that said no fishing within 25Meters of fishway.His answer was he didn't no that was a fishladder.

While I agree more signs would be helpful, I also think more signs just become more targets for some yahoo with a couple of beers under his belt and a 22 cal rifle under the seat of his truck. Yes, there are people who think a fishing license gives them the right to fish wherever, whenever with whatever and a sign here or there might clue those people in. However, no number of signs will prevent the intentional lawbreakers and those are the ones that are causing the most damage and need to be stopped. I'd rather spend the money on enforcement, not signage. Not that any money will be spent...

Guest Sundancefisher
Bingo!!...... it's a enforcement issue not lack of signage

Hmmmm... You all realize that we are putting the onus on government to make people take responsibility for their actions? I hate to be a pessimist...but for all the extra signage will do...you really would still need to hire a couple of people with metal bats to hit everyone over the head and get them to even pay attention to the signs. How many of us has seen recent foot traffic and fishing garbage in areas marked closed for fishing...bait containers near signs that say no bait allow...?

Signs and Bats...that is my vote.

Hmmmm... You all realize that we are putting the onus on government to make people take responsibility for their actions? I hate to be a pessimist...but for all the extra signage will do...you really would still need to hire a couple of people with metal bats to hit everyone over the head and get them to even pay attention to the signs. How many of us has seen recent foot traffic and fishing garbage in areas marked closed for fishing...bait containers near signs that say no bait allow...?

Signs and Bats...that is my vote.

And the reality of the situation is this; Enforcement @ places like Muir, Police and Bullshead will remain a low priority w/F&W unless poaching gets wildly out of control @ a waterbody. Muir, Police and Bullshead are really no different than any private lake in the City of Calgary, a completely artificial fishery.

And the reality of the situation is this; Enforcement @ places like Muir, Police and Bullshead will remain a low priority w/F&W unless poaching gets wildly out of control @ a waterbody. Muir, Police and Bullshead are really no different than any private lake in the City of Calgary, a completely artificial fishery.

Not to get off the sign topic here, but, The enforcement at Bullshead the last couple years has been great...It just took enough people phoning in all the time...It seems to be a regular routine to stop in almost every day on the CO's part...And they dont piss around out there, they check everyone, they even hide in the hills with bino's to nail people, and they usually hand out a fine or two while out there on busy days...

Cheers...Jeff..

True, and it likely makes little difference to F & W if a few hundred fish get poached every year when weighing the cost of enforcement with the fact they drop several more thousand fish into the same body of water every spring anyway.

Guest Sundancefisher
Taco,

keep in mind if it wasn't for the hundreds of "artificial" lakes in alberta stocked with trout, your (and mine) beloved mountain streams would be EMPTY by now. Give them the respect they deserve, becuase, they DO deserve it.

I agree. Stocked lakes are absolutely necessary to provide places for the hordes to go and kill something. There is still a large percentage of fishermen that feel cheated if they can not kill fish. It used to be with higher limits that the old timers would gauge the success of a fishing trip as to whether they caught enough meat to offset the cost of the return gasoline. While times are a changing...you can not eliminate that demographic from the impact on the fishery. To send them to streams and natural lakes would either destroy that fishery or remove the fishermen from the angling populous. Currently we as a group have horrible lobbying skills and dropping our numbers in the face of the politicians only secures us as an extremely minor election nusance.

I believe in balanced management. I also believe there is a limited number of bad apples and then are chronic repeat offenders. Make the punishment exponentially harsh... Say for instance...three strikes and they win a fishing trip to Saudi Arabia...no one tell them there is a pound of coke in their suitcase however.

I believe in balanced management. I also believe there is a limited number of bad apples and then are chronic repeat offenders. Make the punishment exponentially harsh... Say for instance...three strikes and they win a fishing trip to Saudi Arabia...no one tell them there is a pound of coke in their suitcase however.

I love it!

But I have to agree with Taco (to a point). We are mis-managing our fisheries and promoting the put and take mentality. The majority of the lakes should be managed for large fish and maximum recreational value, as opposed to protien sources. I have no issue with taking fish, but those fisheries should be limited to places that winterkill each year and/or town ponds. I really don't want to subsidize the unsustainable harvests at these lakes while I rarely fish them because I don't want a brace of 9 inchers. CHange the regs, change public preception, and enforce. We could have excellent fisheries, stillwaters like BC and Montana, instead we have marginal food lakes.

And...

F&W enforcement should be focused on flowing waters and none stocked waterbodies (not put and takes).

Parks CO's (the guys at Bullshead) should focus on put and takes in/near parks.

But back to the topic, ADC

I believe that bigger signs are required at Police as I regularily get guys asking if the regs have changed there beacause they heard a rumor from somebody at the lake.

I have no issue with taking fish, but those fisheries should be limited to places that winterkill each year and/or town ponds. I really don't want to subsidize the unsustainable harvests at these lakes while I rarely fish them because I don't want a brace of 9 inchers.

Which is where I have an issue with Taco's comment........Why patrol put and take lakes??.......But, sure as hell we should patrol the few Quality Fisheries we have, and streams, to ensure that the high angler value resources are being respected..........

By the way, the issue with signs at Police is that Parks apparently don't like signs.......Clive and I posted 8 signs at the lake in advance of the new regs two years ago and Parks removed all but two......As well, we need to get that *&^%$^%$ fish cleaning eyesore out of the parking lot as it is in basic contradition with the new regs.........Parks agreed with that comment but are yet to do something about it.........

Better re-read my original comment Al and take it in context as to the why

I think I read it right.........You see the Quality Lakes as "private" lakes which will get little enforcement time from F&W.......I'm saying these lakes should get priority over put and take..........