Fly Fusion Forums

"skating" Dries..

birchy

Boys..

In most situations the ideal presentation for a fly - whether wet or dry - is a drag free natural drift. However there are times when we'll swing flies or streamers in the current.

The other night I was trying to cast to some risers with a dry and was having a hard time seeing the fly - and therefore mending my line properly. At one point I saw the wake from the fly and realized my line was downstream from the fly and pulling it faster than the current. Right when that happened however a fish rised and I was able to hook and land it.

Is this what you're referring to when you're talking about "skating" dry flies? Very similar to swinging a streamer with a downstream mend?

Boys..

In most situations the ideal presentation for a fly - whether wet or dry - is a drag free natural drift. However there are times when we'll swing flies or streamers in the current.

The other night I was trying to cast to some risers with a dry and was having a hard time seeing the fly - and therefore mending my line properly. At one point I saw the wake from the fly and realized my line was downstream from the fly and pulling it faster than the current. Right when that happened however a fish rised and I was able to hook and land it.

Is this what you're referring to when you're talking about "skating" dry flies? Very similar to swinging a streamer with a downstream mend?

That's it all right. Had fun last night with foam skid bitches.

Yep. I love fishing caddis on a skate. Works good in a long slow flat run, cast out long about 45 degrees downstream, hold rod tip up as high as you can (helps an EHC stay on top instead of sink) and when one takes resist the urge to set the hook as he will almost always turn and hook himself anyways. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...