Fly Fusion Forums

Kamchatka (russia)

Anyone ever look into a guided trip up into Russian peninsula, Kamchatka? I have read a few articles on it and looked into a little info on the internet and have been amazed at the quality of the fishery. Kinda Makes me think it is what Alaska was 30+ years ago. Rainbows average 23-24 inches (up to 30"), dollies like 6-7 lbs, not to mention 20+ inch grayling and all 5 salmon species! Holy Crap! BTW, the most successful way to land big bows is by skating huge mouse patterns across the water...

I'm really just curious if anyone first of all has ever been there? which i'm guessing is a "No", and if anyone has ever seriously considered checking it out. Now I'm sure it would be a pretty expensive trip, I would guess at least $6,000-8,000 per person. So instead of it being more of a yearly trip, it would be like every 5-10 years.

Here is a decent guides website for some info: www.thebestofkamchatka.com Video: You Tube Video

I'm gonna see if I can get a quote on a weeks trip just for S#%*@ and Giggles.

Drew

That looks incredible! Never been there myself though, so can only judge based on the video.

If you are looking to do a large trip along those lines, I would recommend Jurassic Lake in Argentina. If you go there during their spring (November/December), it is without a doubt the most unbelievalbe fishing you'll ever see. The rainbows average about 26-28 inches, and you can easily catch 50 fish in a day!

I had some clients that couldn't stop talking about a russian trip they made. But one thing they did say was that fishing was so easy it got boring quickly, as there was ZERO challenge involved. Throw line in water ... get bite.... fight fish.... rinse.. repeat... all day every day. Taking the challenge out of fishing was... to them... taking most of the fun out of it. They said if you go ONCE it's great.. going more than once... not fun at all.

Have had several folks that have gone. They all say the same thing that Brian touched on regarding the fishing. It is that good.

Caveat:

The key thing to note is the travel arrangements changed last year which precluded a few of our guests from going. It used to be that you could fly Alaskan up the coast and catch a connector to the Russian airport all things north fly out of. That was changed and now you have to head way west of there, layover in some Asian country, then catch a connector before laying over to catch a connector, then heli in to the river camp. The deal as of this past year and likely next year as well is 2 1/2 days of travel either side. The other factor is to consider that even when you arrive, it is again a heli connection - if there is weather and you are group 4 of 6 groups flying to the 3 or 4 rivers and the heli gets stuck in at one outpost due to weather, you sit and wait for it to get back before you fly out. One fellow this year told me he spent 5 days actually fishing of what protracted to be a 14 day trip, originally booked as a 9 day trip. His thought was not to go back until the connector directly from NA to the northern Russian hub (sorry, can't recall the town name) is reconnected, which may/not happen. The loss of that apparently shut a few companies down due to connection/travel time.

Worth investigating further as the logistics could get $.

Hope that helps.

Now I'm sure it would be a pretty expensive trip, I would guess at least $6,000-8,000 per person.

Sounds like similar fishing to the Kanektok in Alaska. The Deneki lodge up there is over $5000 USD per person per week plus airfare. I'm guessing Kamchatka would be around the same price and more expensive for airfare.

I'm gonna see if I can get a quote on a weeks trip just for S#%*@ and Giggles.

Drew

I actually just chatted with a guy in the SFO airport and he had fished there this year and has fished there for 7 years now. His comments were much of what has been posted here. In fact he said he was hand lining fish, was not even bothering to cast anymore, the fishing was that easy. He also said the fishery is mostly un-managed. If that's true, go while you can.

I know lot's of guides who do the Alaska thing also do Russia, might be worth posting a place like spey pages to see if you can get the guides to comment.

al

Anyone I have ever talked to that has flown out of Russia were extremely glad to have gotten out and swore they would never return. No doubt the fishing would be good but why go to Russia to do it? Scotland and Ireland are nicer..they have better food, they have Scotch and their beers are the best on the planet IMO.

Anyone I have ever talked to that has flown out of Russia were extremely glad to have gotten out and swore they would never return. No doubt the fishing would be good but why go to Russia to do it? Scotland and Ireland are nicer..they have better food, they have Scotch and their beers are the best on the planet IMO.

I dunno, I think Ireland is stunning (I've never been to Scotland) but beat fishing sucks, seriously sucks, IMO.

I know more than one guy that swear they're NEVER going back to Russia. One lived on Mars bars and Doritos for the final two weeks of his hitch.

Their beer is alright. I spent a month in one of the 'istans and drank a pile of Russian Baltika Fives. Just about as much vodka, not so good. Worst was fermented camel milk. I traded a local guy a can of Copenhagen for their 'snuff'. I still don't know what it was made of, absolutely horeeb. It was a green paste, smelled and tasted like death. When in Rome. Very honest, hardworking people.

Guest Sundancefisher
I had some clients that couldn't stop talking about a russian trip they made. But one thing they did say was that fishing was so easy it got boring quickly, as there was ZERO challenge involved. Throw line in water ... get bite.... fight fish.... rinse.. repeat... all day every day. Taking the challenge out of fishing was... to them... taking most of the fun out of it. They said if you go ONCE it's great.. going more than once... not fun at all.

I agree.

After the 10th time you wouldn't be able to pay me to go again...

Wow, Great responses, and all great information. I doubt I will ever get a chance to go in the next 2-3 years, but something inside me says I need to go at least 1 time just to experience it! The travel does sound like it would be a pain in the butt, but I think i could put up with a few days of boredom for ridiculously good fishing, even if was only for 5 days. Even if the fishing is easy, I could care less. Fighting monster rainbows and Salmon all day long until my arm hurts will never be boring to me. Even when I'm out at bullshead and it's a fish a cast type fishing, I never get bored. So I'm with Rickr, I'd go in a second.

I still haven't requested a quote from the company yet, Been busy!

Drew

Wow, Great responses, and all great information. I doubt I will ever get a chance to go in the next 2-3 years, but something inside me says I need to go at least 1 time just to experience it! The travel does sound like it would be a pain in the butt, but I think i could put up with a few days of boredom for ridiculously good fishing, even if was only for 5 days. Even if the fishing is easy, I could care less. Fighting monster rainbows and Salmon all day long until my arm hurts will never be boring to me. Even when I'm out at bullshead and it's a fish a cast type fishing, I never get bored. So I'm with Rickr, I'd go in a second.

I still haven't requested a quote from the company yet, Been busy!

Drew

Agreed, I think consistent action is always fun. Especially if you can appreciate how rare that really is. I spoke to some British (well Scottish actually) guys who paid 17K for two weeks in Kamchatka this year. No kidding, 17K USD. They said it sucked for Atlantic Salmon for them this year but said other years have been stellar. I have no idea what their base line was. I just more impressed that these guys were on the road for a full month fishing. Two weeks in Russia and two weeks chasing salmon in North America. Nice guys as well.

al