Fly Fusion Forums

Pike Rod

tffolkerts

Guest rickleblanc

If you want to cast some real pike flies (read BIG) go for a nine. It depends on your skill, too. I know a guy who can chuck big clousers and the whole line on his five, but with the same set-up, I can barely lob it fifty feet.

Rick

A Redington Predator in 8 or 9 is a great stick if you would like to try either let me know I have both. A Xi2 is a great option as well the VT2s from Sage are a great deal aswell but I find the grip cramps my hand.

Most of the PIke specific rods you will find on the market right now are all generally under 9' For 2 reasons one it is way easier to maintian fly control with the shorter sticks so if you have to dump stuff in small weed holes you are set and two the Bass and Pike tours don't allow rods of 8'9" (i think it could be inchs shorter or longer)

My big fish rod (pike, walleye, bones, down east salmon. steelies, dollies, lakers and Atha-B bullies) is a 4 piece, 8-weight, St. Croix Avid. It's relatively Air Canada-proof because the tube fits in the bottom deck of my big Eddie Bauer duffel thus avoiding that black hole called "Oversize Luggage". Where no fly rod is known to return from. Or at least not for 48 hours. The price is right too.

The key to tossing pike flies is to resist the temptation to use bunny strips and stick to artificial materials. Once six inches of rabbit leather soaks up a full load of water it's like casting a wet tea towel.

When you pike fish from a pontoon or float tube and don't have the use of your leg muscles in casting, you will appreciate the difference.

On this summer's Pike on the Fly trip, I used a 9'6" mod-action 7wt, my fishing bud used a fast-action 9'6" 8wt. Large deerhair flies the size of golf balls, fast 8wt was FAR more effective.

j