Fly Fusion Forums

Rio Skagit Flight

headscan

• 1 month later...

Did a head to head comparison today with the Rio Skagit Flight and Airflo Compact Skagit on a Z-Axis 5126. The Rio was 425 grains and the Airflo was 420. Used a 15 foot Rio type 3 tip on both and a couple feet of 10lb Maxima. The Flight doesn't turn over big flies as well as the Compact but I was able to get around the same distance out of both heads.

Did a head to head comparison today with the Rio Skagit Flight and Airflo Compact Skagit on a Z-Axis 5126. The Rio was 425 grains and the Airflo was 420. Used a 15 foot Rio type 3 tip on both and a couple feet of 10lb Maxima. The Flight doesn't turn over big flies as well as the Compact but I was able to get around the same distance out of both heads.

Nice to know the difference, thansk for posting. heard the flight was a good line but the Airflow has some great qualities also.

Acquired a couple of Airflo Skagits last year, liked them so much I've set up all my two handers with them. The only thing that I do, and I've mentioned the trick before, is to lighten the "load" a bit, I use 4 to 7' of loop/loop T-14 with a 30lb mono "cheater" between the head and the T-14 sink tip. Not as heavy to cast and sinks much better in fast water, the line floats and the small diameter mono cuts through the faster flowing top water, allowing the T-14 to get the fly down near the bottom. Much easier to pick up, prior to setting the anchor and forming the "D", than a long, 15' sink tip.

j

Jack, doesn't that setup cause extra hinging during the cast? Or is the mono stiff enough that it isn't an issue? I've been using the Compact Skagits for a while now as well with the 15' Rio tips and haven't found any problems, though I haven't tried them with anything heavier than a type 6.

No, not that is noticeable. It's a NW US trick that they use on coastal rivers, where lots of times the force of the flow will overwhelm the ability of the rod to pick up a long weighted tip from the water(or the force will hydraulically lift it, negating the purpose of the weight).

j