Fly Fusion Forums

Inner City Bow

fisher26

I have been fishing the bow in the inner city stretch the last couple days with no luck, not even a whitefish. I am a capable fly fisherman and I have no trouble catching fish on the lower bow but I just can't seem to catch a fish on the inner city stretch. I have fished it in the evening and after dark with no avail. I have tried many nymphs and streamers with a variety of methods and locations.

Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

right now try using caddis pupa and pheasant tails, cast up stream let dead drift for about half of the drift and you can try emerger lifts through the rest of the drift. Let it hang it hang out in the current as well for a few second's before you're next cast. Another thing you can try is try going a little smaller in you're fly sizes than you would fishing down below the treatment plants. This is a theory that I have as well

I find it's hit and miss as well. I've fished a ton up in the Varsity area (Bowmount Park I think) and I've had days where I'll get like 20 whitefish in 30 minutes and then the next day nothing and then the day after really nice bows and browns and then nothing. It's very unpredictable. I've abandoned the spot for greener pastures.

Wrong fly sizes maybe. I never have trouble catching fish on the city stretch except between pumphouse and the weir. My buddy who is a novice caught his first fish near the stony trail bridge for the first time right before the water got all blown out, about 3 weeks ago. Good size for a first fish, 19 inch brown. Whitefish are everywhere as well on the stretch, especially fall, you can catch em nearly every cast.I made a note last time I was out as well, big leeches. BIG leeches lurk the upper stretches.