Fly Fusion Forums

Need An Educated Opinion

zed

could someone please tell me the damage that occurs when a large fish is picked up out of the water with one hand by the gill? i have a friend who doesn't believe me that he's probably killing the fish. something from a biologist or something comparable that i could forward to him may help.

thanks

could someone please tell me the damage that occurs when a large fish is picked up out of the water with one hand by the gill? i have a friend who doesn't believe me that he's probably killing the fish. something from a biologist or something comparable that i could forward to him may help.

thanks

Well you ask him how would he feel if he was "hung" by his sexual member...holding a fish by it's gill plate, sticking one's fingers into it gills will Kill the fish..for this is it's breathing appendage, "External Lungs", read.... http://www.biology-resources.com/fish-01.html ....................................Wolfie

thanks wolfie but i honestly need something in writing that specifically says handling a fish by the gills will kill it. or maybe someone has a first hand experience? c'mon people many fishes lives are at stake!

thanks wolfie but i honestly need something in writing that specifically says handling a fish by the gills will kill it. or maybe someone has a first hand experience? c'mon people many fishes lives are at stake!

http://flyfishcalgary.com/catch_and_release.php

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingre...onreleasingfish

Pretty much anything you read on catch and release will say not to touch the gills. No different than someone reaching down your trachea and poking their fingers in your lungs.

I don't see Ur point in regards to something in writing...print it off m8 or look on Google for more info...besides..I'm a registered biological technician in Ichthyology and Herpetology...Fish and Reptiles..is that proof enough for u as someone with first hand experience?..........Wolfie

Well did you ask him this.........?

could someone please tell me the damage that occurs when a large fish is picked up out of the water with one hand by the gill
.........the pain would be close to getting hung by ur member...and boy, I thought you were a rocket scientist...............Wolfie

.........the pain would be close to getting hung by ur member...and boy, I thought you were a rocket scientist...............Wolfie

So you are saying the feeling a fish feels being gilled is close to the pain if I get strung up by my family jewel's?

How have you come to this conclusion?

BTW- I agree you do not want to gill a fish unless it is headed for the fryer.

fish live in a place were they recieve no gravitational pull when taking them out of the water they are stressed.. lifting them up and down stresses out teh organs being pulled down.. and u can also rip and tear the gills under the gillplate.. gill plates too.. wich can lead too killing fish.. why not just grill your buddy? i do it all the time! ask him if he was held up by the throat how it would feel? probably painful and could kill him by collapsing his windpipe or cutting off blood flow too teh brain! if your a c& r fisherman u would think it would be in your best interest too limit fish handling and too keep them in the water for as long as possible too reduce stress and injury as much as possible...

Gills are very sensitive, the operculum, or gill plate is there to protect this sensitive organ. The gills are composed of a gill arch, gill filaments, and lamellae. The gill arch is the bony structure that supports the gill filaments, the lamellae is a single cell thick outer membrane of the gill filaments. The gill filaments are to increase surface and carry oxygen poor blood vessels. The lamellae is a membrane that aids in diffusion of oxygen from the water to the blood stream, the lamellae is very folded or undulating to greatly increase surface area of the interface. The way it works is- if the fish is facing upstream, water is coming down toward it, the fish opens its mouth, water comes in across the gills, in which the blood is flowing an opposite direction- upstream. Oxygen particles are in higher concentration in the water than the oxygen poor pulmonary arteries. Through diffusion, the oxygen will be forced from high concentration water, across the lamellae, into oxygen poor blood vessels, saturating the blood vessels, much like capillaries work in our lungs. Then the gill plate opens, and releases the deoxygenated water. Long story short, if you damage the sensitive blood rich, gill filaments, or the single cellular lamellae, the fish will suffocate. Same idea as sticking your fingers into someones lungs...and you can tell him that I am educated and employed as a fisheries biologist and that handling fish by the gills is not a proper or humane handling procedure for live fish which you intend to release.

Some people say that the best way to handle a large pike is by gilling it, but for a trout, its pretty much murder. From what I hear.

Not gilling it.. There is a gap near the front of the lower jaw that provides a perfect place to put your finger to control their head. It goes into the mouth inside the lower jaw, nowhere near the teeth. No gill damage, and no shredded fingers.

RileyS...........where did you study..........got my ticket in Ontario..Toronto to be exact...by the way, maybe you might know a friend of mine..Al Wanio, from BC................Wolfie

Wolfie,

I studied at NAIT and then at University of Alberta. I don't actually know many of the BC guys.

Wolfie,

I studied at NAIT and then at University of Alberta. I don't actually know many of the BC guys.

fair enough m8...Al is, I believe the top honcho out in Nanaimo, BC..............and thanks for supporting my post, in a more concise manner......Wolfie

I think the bigger the fish the tougher it is on them hoisting them out of the water, not sure though?

Saw these pictures and didn't know what to think, quite a few just held vertically out of the water by the jaw bone. Pike must be tougher than trout?

Pike pictures

That road has been well travelled already.....