Fly Fusion Forums

Moose

TerryH

..........How was the fishing?
It was my first time there, and after I got past the moose, I was only out for maybe an hour and a half, but I did land a nice rainbow that taped out at 20". It's a gorgeous lake, and I'd like to spend more time there some day. Terry

Jeez that is one skinny moose!
Actually, she was in pretty good shape -- very healthy looking coat. Terry

I've heard many times the most dangerous animal in Canada is a bull moose in the fall. Worse than a bear, apparently. Other times of year I'd say there's nothing to worry about. I've stumbled on them many times here and especially back in NF and I've never sensed I've been in danger.

Man I have never come across a moose yet while out fishin and glad I haven't as I do not know what Iwould do if I came across one.

Nice pic Terry and glad to hear you had a good time out in "Bring Cash" land.

Years ago working in the patch about this time of year a buddy called a young bull for kicks and he perked up right away. Next thing you know he came charging up and ended up chasing buddy around a tree for a few minutes. Eventually he gave up and went crashing off into the bush but not before we could smell the steamer wafting out of Rods pants. Me and my old man stood there the whole time laughing and surprisingly the moose paid no attention to us.

He was a young bull probably his first rut and was in heavy competition for ground I figure. Danger! For the record they don't corner so well so if you do get charged run like a rabbit- zigzag.

I was fishing above the falls in the "Gap" on Monday and I saw a cow moose in the river. I called to my buddy to check it out. He saw her and then pointed up/ I looked up on the high bank above and saw her boyfriend checking us out. He was massive! They both ran off before we could get any pix. I'm glad he wasn't the jealous type!!

When I was in the field, we were driving down a lease road. I was in my pickup and the wireline truck a hundred yards or so behind me. I passed a huge bull moose on the road (this was in October or November, can't exactly remember). He just watched me go by. I stopped and when the logger came around the bend behind me I flashed my tail lights to warn the driver. As soon as the moose saw the logger, he started to charge. He broke it off no more than 10 yds away. I always said that when he saw the pickup he thought "that's too small to be any threat". But when he saw the wireline truck? "That's more like it!"

Terry,my wife and I spent 4 or 5 days at Whiteswan in early September. We saw the same moose on the east end of the lake as well. She wasn't too worried about a couple of curious people in a zodiak and just kept on doing her own walk and wade. I got a couple of shots of her but they didn't turn out as nice as yours. We also spotted a grizzly on the north side, a couple of miles west of the campground. As far as the fishing goes, I did manage a couple of nice 20 inchers as well but I foud they were pretty spooky. I caught both of mine in the shallows on the east end of the lake. One was on a red Doc Sprately and one on my own version of an olive coloured Damsel nymph. I found the best way for me was to spot a fish, the water is crystal clear, and cast well out in front of it and slowly retrieve it back on a sink tip line.

Murray