Fly Fusion Forums

Lets Right A Wrong

The point is that, although "regulations" are "there" somewhere in the long list of thou shalt and thou shalt not, the application of those regs are somewhat discretionary. I wore a hat flying from Vancouver to Las Vegas (US Airways/Westjet return) with a large, prominent fly attached( "Professor" #8) to the front. Nobody blinked. However, on my next flight from our one airline, one runway, 2 flights a day, small town "airport" I was stopped by security and had to remove the fly from my hat, in order to board the Dash 8. So, I can see where people can be confused as to what the rules are. Besides, this is not about the flies, it's about missing her flight. And it is something we can do to negate the antics of a couple of "authority figures". Having spent a considerable amount of my working life in law enforcement, most of the time(no not all) I managed to subscribe to: "Let common sense prevail". I tend to think that in this case, there was a failure to communicate, probably on both "sides".

j

So if she comes back to Canada we can have Jack pick her up at the Airport.

" HI JACK" then we can raise some bail money

And that is a story for another time. :) It involves four guys meeting in Vancouver Airport, one idiot yelling "HI JACK !!" and all of us being "attended to" by security, and we were all "packing" !! :opps:

j

• 2 weeks later...
Last week folks so if you have yetto drop off your flys then giddy up.

I just wanted to thank everyone who has stepped up and donated there time and there flys to this little cause.

This is another reason why this site rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris,

Let's plan on going to Hanson's one day this week over lunch and I'll pick some to donate.

• 2 months later...
Guest galsfishtoo
Over the holidays I thought about this as well.

I will send an email to Fish Tales and see if they got any word.

Thanks BigBowTrout :)

Here's the requested update with apologies for the delayed notice.

Last fall we forwarded a great selection of flies donated by members of FFC in boxes compliments of Amundson to Brenda.

post-2742-1262635257.jpg

The package went expedited Canada Post but still took several weeks to get to her in South Africa. Once she received the flies she responded with this email.

"I have just taken delivery of a stunning collection of fishing flies. I cannot tell all of you who contributed to the fly collection for me, how overwhelmed I was by everyone's generosity. It was like Christmas as I opened box after box of flies all with at least fifty flies in each, and some with many more. All of yesterday I kept looking at them as they were so stunning. I have also told all of my friends and family about it.... and yes it does take away the aftertaste of security company's poor handling of my departure from Calgary. Of course that was why it was so surprising because ordinary Canadians are very friendly and warm.

How will I use them ... well by fishing them of course, but also my friends in Calgary are planning a trip back here next year and we shall make great sport with them up in the streams of the Drakensburg mountains."

In seperate emails to the shop she commented how excited she was to be able to share with her fishing friends the flies that are used in Canada and how much she was looking forward to trying the "plastic" grasshoppers during South Africa's summer/terrestrial season.

She provided contact information that we can pm you if you have upcoming plans to travel to South Africa.

Thanks to everyone who contributed and to BigBowTrout for the reminder to provide this update.

Nancy & David

Fish Tales