Fly Fusion Forums

Exploring Hard To Get To Waters

hiketofish

Went to a few "hard to get to waters" in our National Parks in the past couple of weeks. This one is a fun trail if you don't mind following a faint trail with good blazes on the trees. Would not want to do this on a wet day as you do the breast stroke through the willows for much of it.

P1010014.jpg

Finally it opens up to some rock walking until the beaver dam section. How do beavers get this high up in a drainage and make a go of it?

P1010006.jpg

First look at the lake,

P1010008.jpg

Further down the lake, very silty in color, no rises nothing, at little unsure if there was fish, but all the books said bull trout.

P1010013-1.jpg

The books were right. There's tons of little one's, I didn't catch one over 14 inches.

P1010011.jpg

Here's an old bridge on one of the tributaries to the main creek running out of the lake.

P1010004.jpg

Hoping someone will tell me what kind of berries these were. They were berries, orange and yellow. Heaps of them.

P1010016.jpg

Second trip a week later at some different lakes:

P1010010.jpg

Nice view along the way.

P1010008-1.jpg

Fairly easy to catch fish, but wind was an issue. Yes there was whitecaps. In fact you'll see pretty soon that the weather changes.

P1010042.jpg

Here's a pic of a what's in the lakes:

P1010017.jpg

A few more nice pics, notice how the weather has changed.

P1010049-1.jpg

Hiking back out.

DSC02455.jpg

I did mention that it was windy didn't I

DSC02460.jpg

On the way out saw a really nice Big Horn Ram, here it is with my point and shoot camera

P1010074.jpg

Here it is with an SLR with a telephoto lens that my friend had:

DSC02520.jpg

I have one more trip that will hopefully go in a couple of weeks to see some fall colors in the parks.

awesome pics, great places. reminds me of a time when me and 3 buddies hiked to a high lake in K country only to have it start snowing less than a half hour later and we had 4 very steep rock scrambles to get down ... scary day. Looks like your hike out may have been a little bit... scary.. :)

You sure you wanna do that???

Fall in a creek, you get wet; fall there, you get dead! :angel:smail:

Yes its a steep in and out but not really too dangerous. Here's a pic of what is dangerous: the short way in to these lakes coming up from the valley coming up to the lakes. I clambered below the lowest lake to have a look and maybe do it but was too chicken to walk the narrow ledge (in the wind no less) to the scree on the right.

P1010031.jpg

The following picture is one of two ways down to the lakes. You start right at the top of the mountain in the middle of the pic and work your way down diagonal. Looks impossible from a distance but its not cliffy, just really steep.

P1010011-1.jpg

On a side note, no one can tell me what those berries were? The first lake is in JNP and more of a just get up and see it lake with lots of small Bull trout although not much casting room for flyfishing.

• 7 months later...