Fly Fusion Forums

Nyhmphs

Birddog

In Alberta you are able to fish 3 flies. If you are just starting out, two flies to start with might be a good idea as less tangles. Key nymphing into the search on the site or google and you will get info for days to read through. There are many different methods. That is were I would start.

edit: note:B.C one fly, both provinces barbless. Always check the regs! Cheers

If your going to start running 3 nymphs, when you cast watch for all 3 nymphs to lay out and plop into the water. You can see it most times if your watching for it. If you don't see that or all you see is one splash, stop casting and check your nymphs. Its very easy to get tangles and you will foul hook more fish. Personally I've stopped running 3 nymphs. If your putting your nymphs in front of fIsh 3 isn't going to do anything 2 wont. Sure it increases your odds of catching a fish, also increases the chances of the bad too.

Good luck

How I do it is.

Heavier fly on top attached to the tippet, then add 12-18" of tippet (tied with an improved cinch knot off the bend of the hook) the add the second fly, 8-12" tippet (again off the bend) then add third fly.

Try to open your loop a bit on your cast seems to help me avoid tangles.

I normally use 3 flies till I get an idea of what they are snapping at the switch to 2 flies,

EG. i start with a BAW, copper john, pheasant tail. if i find all my hit are on the john I'll switch to 2 johns of different colour. or the worm and john.

lost a double this year on a red and green john rig. (one day fishies.... oh yes one day)

How I do it is.

Heavier fly on top attached to the tippet, then add 12-18" of tippet (tied with an improved cinch knot off the bend of the hook) the add the second fly, 8-12" tippet (again off the bend) then add third fly.

Try to open your loop a bit on your cast seems to help me avoid tangles.

I normally use 3 flies till I get an idea of what they are snapping at the switch to 2 flies,

EG. i start with a BAW, copper john, pheasant tail. if i find all my hit are on the john I'll switch to 2 johns of different colour. or the worm and john.

lost a double this year on a red and green john rig. (one day fishies.... oh yes one day)

Teck...wait till you get really bored and try it with two flies for "Pike"..and get a double...hope you will be wearing "rubber pants".........lol-2.gif...........................Wolfie

A fly with two hooks on it still counts as 1 fly.

Sorry, I think you're incorrect. Check the regs...

It Is Unlawful To:

Use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).

Use a lure in angling with more than three hooks as part of it.

Use a hook with more than three points on a common shaft (see Important Definitions).

maybe it's just me but....

if you want a few problems... use 1 fly

if you want a few more and have a bit more time on your hands (i.e. more than a couple hours)... use 2 flies

if you have all day... use 3 fliies

sorry but i usually only have an hour or 2 to fish at a time. my wife makes fun of me for spending more time tying flies than actually fishing.

Hope this gives you a better insight into the rigging/applying the two or even three fly set up..................Wolfie

2zhgx7a.jpg

The length of a nymph dropper should be determined by where the fish are feeding in the water column. If trout are taking nymphs right below the surface, a 6-inch dropper will put the fly in the right zone. Earlier in the hatch, before there are many duns on the water, an 18-inch dropper may take more fish. If you want the fly right near the bottom, a 30-inch dropper will do the trick in shallow water.

33jl305.jpg

The combination of a heavy beadhead and a more buoyant nymph can be deadly. Dead-drifted, this rig puts the larger fly on the bottom, while the bottom fly imitates an insect that has been knocked into the drift. If you twitch your rod tip, you can make the bottom nymph dive and rise again, which often triggers a strike.

2q9dt2p.jpg

A tandem rig featuring a nymph on top and a streamer on the bottom imitates a baitfish feeding on emerging nymphs. Oftentimes, a large trout that isn't interested in the nymph will take the opportunity to whack the baitfish imitation.

This season I started tying my bottom flies on a Duncan loop. I have no statistics to back this up but I know it has made a HUGE difference. I've been paying attention the last few times out and I'd say there's a 4-5 to 1 ratio of trout taken on the bottom fly to top fly. I was so impressed by this that on a couple of occaisions when they were hammering the bottom fly I've purposely replaced the top fly with the same fly as the bottom fly and they still hammered the looped fly.

N

This season I started tying my bottom flies on a Duncan loop. I have no statistics to back this up but I know it has made a HUGE difference. I've been paying attention the last few times out and I'd say there's a 4-5 to 1 ratio of trout taken on the bottom fly to top fly. I was so impressed by this that on a couple of occaisions when they were hammering the bottom fly I've purposely replaced the top fly with the same fly as the bottom fly and they still hammered the looped fly.

N

how much room do you leave beween the fly and the knot?

N

actually, Ive heard other ppl talk about this style of knot and from what I can gather the reason why it works so well is because there is no restriction holding the fly back..therefore it can sway in motion and undulate the way the dressing was designed to be use..[as in the marabou feathers]...so I think ur post has great merrit, at least I'll give it a try for sure.....................Wolfie

The Duncan loop is a great knot but only for certain applications. It shines where you need the fly to have independent motion such as some nymphing and some streamer fly applications. It's not great for dry fly work as it is better to have a stiff leader knot with no "hinge" to aid floating and quick sets. My recommendation is to get to know a number of knots for various applications, no one knot will do.