Fly Fusion Forums

Tile Layer For Bathroom Renovation Needed

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Hi all.

We have the tile, almost finished ripping out the old tile and getting ready to start when the tile guy we hired quit due to a family emergency. As such I am now looking for a professional great quality, artistic yet reasonably priced tile guy/person to come in and do the job. We need the shower done properly to code or better to minimize chance of leaks etc. Timing is still flexible.

Any names/numbers you can PM me would be great.

I also may need a plumber to do some odd stuff around the house.

Thanks.

Sun

Guest Sundancefisher
You find anyone yet? If not, we've got a guy that we've used for tile, hardwood, plumbing, bathroom, kitchen, etc. He's awesome - I'll give you his name if you don't have anyone...you won't be sorry.

Cool...please PM me his name. We are just starting from scratch again

Guest Sundancefisher
I live in BC so cant help you but as a flooring installer I can say that a guy who sort of does it all can sort of do it all and you get what you pay for. Best advice is to get a real tile guy.

Sounds like you are a tile layer. A guy quoted my today to do the work and said he would reuse the base rather than redoing the dry pack. He also said he likes to use the Denshield or dense shield board rather than cement board as it is easier. I don't want problems and a little extra work for me is worth the money in lack of future problems. I heard cement board was the best. I also heard you should water proof it.

He also said he does not give out references since he does not want past clients bothered. Seemed fishy to me. Plus he was $2000 less than the last guy and would not give suggestions for tile layout.

I hate reshopping for a tile guy.

Sounds like you are a tile layer. A guy quoted my today to do the work and said he would reuse the base rather than redoing the dry pack. He also said he likes to use the Denshield or dense shield board rather than cement board as it is easier. I don't want problems and a little extra work for me is worth the money in lack of future problems. I heard cement board was the best. I also heard you should water proof it.

He also said he does not give out references since he does not want past clients bothered. Seemed fishy to me. Plus he was $2000 less than the last guy and would not give suggestions for tile layout.

I hate reshopping for a tile guy.

My husband Mike runs a drywall company - and he not only recommends Dens Shield Tile Backerboad as better than cement board but that's what we've used in all 3 of our full bathrooms. And if you think Mike Holmes is a stickler for "doing it right" you've never met my husband. If you have any questions or anything that doesn't seem right...feel free to ask me...I've been through a bathroom build and a gut and build about 5 times now and I could pretty much do it myself at this point LOL

Yeah, my sis & bro-in-law needed to do some repairs for a leak in a bathroom for one of their suites they rent out and hired a "friend of a friend", who would have been a great guy I'm sure if he didn't walk away with their deposit as he was a meth addict (who knew!), as well had some issues installing a sump pump with (the former company- which I understand from some recent news spots, has re named the company) "Hire a Husband" - got taken with them as well!! Beware and do your homework! Get references and follow-up with those references!

P