Fly Fusion Forums

Super Hopper Dropper

Swede

Ive been looking for a good strike indicator for fishing lightly weighted streamers or a couple heavy nymphs. I came across this pattern on the internet and thought it was a pretty good idea. Despite having two drawers full of foam I tend to not tie or fish foam. Don't ask why I just like tying with natural materials. But this fly is pretty cool so I tied some up.

Its tied with a mono loop at each end so you can loop to loop it to your leader, than put your tag end through the back loop and tie on your droppers. Keeps the indicator in line with your leader and is easily adjustable for depth. And on the plus side it's quite capable of catching fish, lets see a "thingatwist or thingabobber" I mean, do that lol.

P1090337wr.jpg

P1090323wr.jpg

I hear you on the foam. Nothing stopping you from tying some Dave's Hoppers like this or even some half foam SA Hoppers.

When you use that, do you just thread the tippet through, or is it actually tied onto the eye?

well I want it to hold up quite abit of weight so foam suits the job, but forsure you could incorparate it into other patterns.

You just double up your leader and push it through the loop on the fly and pull it over and under the fly than stick your tag end through the back mono loop. No tying to the eye of the hook, its a loop to loop connection.