Fly Fusion Forums

Second-best Will Have To Do

Hey

I've been sticking with my film cameras because digital couldn't match the quality - especially with moving subjects. But lately, the film developing has been pathetic. It seems nobody can do a good job of this any more. I see smudges, fading, lint, and general uneven quality. No, it's not my equipment. Gotta bite the bullet and get rid of my old stuff and buy new.

The unit I need is the Canon D50. Anybody use this camera? What's the best lens to start with? Seems there's several packages to choose from. It's a lot of cash so I want to be sure.

Thanks

You gotta remeber something about film is that with heat exposer or light exposer it will actually cause the film to strech thus getting poorer and poorer quality the more you reproduce, I dunno if you are reproducing from your negativies or if its the first time.

Hey

I've been sticking with my film cameras because digital couldn't match the quality - especially with moving subjects. But lately, the film developing has been pathetic. It seems nobody can do a good job of this any more. I see smudges, fading, lint, and general uneven quality. No, it's not my equipment. Gotta bite the bullet and get rid of my old stuff and buy new.

The unit I need is the Canon D50. Anybody use this camera? What's the best lens to start with? Seems there's several packages to choose from. It's a lot of cash so I want to be sure.

Thanks

First I have to ask what you mostly use it for? The D50 @ 15 mps on an APS senors will have small pixels to gather light with. A friend got one and traded it after 3 days because the image quality that he was looking for. As for lenses think about whether you might look at getting a full frame sensor camera in future, if so and you decide on Canon you have to remember that lenses with the EF-S designation do not work on the fullframe sensor cameras.APS image factor is 1.6 X and full frame is equal to 35mm. In my opinion kit lenses are crap and a waste but for a starting lens Canon has a sweet 24-105mmf4L that I can highly recommend as it is my main go to lens on both my APS and full frame cameras

Hope this helps somewhat

Where are you getting them developed, WalMart?! Any of the people that I know that are prof photographers go to Vistek and places like that for the contact sheets and all speak very highly of the development at those places (or have their own darkrooms)... On a similar note, when they shoot digital, they shoot Nikon, but each to his or her own...

P

Hey

Thanks

Never used that model - but I do use a couple different canon bodies - next to highend canon lenses I find Sigma produces excellent quality photos for a middle of the road cost - of course I have an ebay russian 180 wide - it is cheap and distorted actually produces a better than accurate fish-eye effect so cost dosn't always dictate good photos - if you wanna go old school I have a 650 body that has barely ever been used, you can have it for a box of flies or whatever

Hey

Thanks

Hey

Thanks for the tips, folks. Yeah good film developing is going to get more expensive. Also, easier to carry around a memory stick than a photo album.

I use my camera for everything - hiking, vacation, events, people shots. Don't want to go really high end, but want good stuff, hence the 50D. Read all about the small sensor and high pixel debate. Not going to wade into that one. Hoping that I won't be upgrading every 3-4 years, like these damn computers.

Cheers