Fly Fusion Forums

South West Fishing

Guest FoamStoner

Guest Jeremie

Headed south west a few days ago, was a waste of time but caught a 19" and 10" cutts out of my favorite lake along with big fish surfacing almost every few minutes and a couple of bulls out of my most fished stream around the 16" mark. Lost an absolute hog of a cutt on a Green paradrake on the stream but with all the pressure on this stream the fishing has degraded so horribly we were VERY dissapointed.

090830_082853.jpg

090830_102958.jpg

090830_103036.jpg

090830_082823.jpg

090830_143531-1.jpg

I know how you feel. It seems like a lot more people are making the trip down here from central and northern Alberta and degrading all our best fishing spots. We have to find a way to stop this before all our waters down here get so horribly degraded that we don't even get a chance at an absolute hog. I hate wasting my time catching 19" cutties and casting to big fish surfacing all over the place.

Not sure what went wrong with the trip?

I know how you feel. It seems like a lot more people are making the trip down here from central and northern Alberta and degrading all our best fishing spots. We have to find a way to stop this before all our waters down here get so horribly degraded that we don't even get a chance at an absolute hog. I hate wasting my time catching 19" cutties and casting to big fish surfacing all over the place.

Not sure what went wrong with the trip?

haha what a whiner

Guest Jeremie

well the lake was okay, it was still obviously too hot for the lake. But the stream was absolutely F***ed. Plus it was an awful camping trip, two idiots started their music at 10 and kept getting louder every hour untill three and then they turned it off and started a chainsaw. So looking back at it, it sounded more sensible to sit at home and watch TV. But then again fishing is always better then a bad day at home or school.

But if you dont understand only catching 1 of the dozen or 2 dozen fish that you normally catch out of a body of water then you cant really say that it doesn't happen.

well the lake was okay, it was still obviously too hot for the lake. But the stream was absolutely F***ed. Plus it was an awful camping trip, two idiots started their music at 10 and kept getting louder every hour untill three and then they turned it off and started a chainsaw. So looking back at it, it sounded more sensible to sit at home and watch TV. But then again fishing is always better then a bad day at home or school.

But if you dont understand only catching 1 of the dozen or 2 dozen fish that you normally catch out of a body of water then you cant really say that it doesn't happen.

lol sounds like this spot has you spoiled, I have spots that i normally am in the 50-60 fish in a day range (the little mountain streams) but i've gone on days and only had 1 or 2 which is rediculous, sometimes the fish just aren't on, don't be discouraged so easily, i'm sure next time you go back it will be great fishing again.

Hey. At least your camping "buddies" brought out the good ol' 3am chainsaw. Always a classic! Haven't heard one of those since I camped up near Hummingbird two years ago. Remember, a shitty day on the water is better than a good day at work in most people's lives.

cheers

Guest Jeremie
lol sounds like this spot has you spoiled, I have spots that i normally am in the 50-60 fish in a day range (the little mountain streams) but i've gone on days and only had 1 or 2 which is rediculous, sometimes the fish just aren't on, don't be discouraged so easily, i'm sure next time you go back it will be great fishing again.

Well we have fished that river 3 times this year, all times have been Shitty, we used to see fish carpeting the bottom in one pool in this section but now we see maybe 2 or 3. The number of anglers fishing that river have sky rocketed and i think the mortality rates have gone off the charts. The lake on the other hand is known by a select few but people there still keep a little to many fish over the limit which saddens me but its so remote and not well known that it fishes great most of the time and doesn't get blabbed about all over the internet and magazines..

SORRY IF THIS OFFENDS ANYONE!

And yes it was better then staying at home... but im as soon as i get my driving license im going to find some deep back country areas that no one talks about!

• 2 weeks later...

Jeremie.

I am on your side.

Over the last 5 years the fishing in SW alberta HAS GONE to ****. People are now posting "oh what a great day we got 15 between 3 of us". That's total crap... sorry but that's a crap day... your bragging up a crap day!!!

You used to be able to catch 50 / day EACH!!!..... EVEN IF YOU SUCKED at presentation, fly choice, casting, etc. Mort rates + random camping + ******* with quads ripping up spawning grounds + lack of enforcement anywhere up there, etc. If we all just sit on our asses in denial there will be no fish left in ten years.

Those of you saying... "oh just suck it up bad days happen" havent fished the area for the last 20 years and watched it go to *hit. it's tanking. Right now. The last 2 years have been the worst ever. What's next year going to bring?

Jeremie.

I am on your side.

Over the last 5 years the fishing in SW alberta HAS GONE to *hit. People are now posting "oh what a great day we got 15 between 3 of us". That's total crap... sorry but that's a crap day... your bragging up a crap day!!!

You used to be able to catch 50 / day EACH!!!..... EVEN IF YOU SUCKED at presentation, fly choice, casting, etc. Mort rates + random camping + assholes with quads ripping up spawning grounds + lack of enforcement anywhere up there, etc. If we all just sit on our asses in denial there will be no fish left in ten years.

Those of you saying... "oh just suck it up bad days happen" havent fished the area for the last 20 years and watched it go to *hit. it's tanking. Right now. The last 2 years have been the worst ever. What's next year going to bring?

walk and wade guides who bring locals and non-locals to such areas don't contribute to the 'crap' fishing? Just wondering.

walk and wade guides who bring locals and non-locals to such areas don't contribute to the 'crap' fishing? Just wondering.

Guides protect and love their streams and educate guests on the fragility of the fish and environment. Do they have an impact just by bringing a few people / year? sure...

but not as much as the literally THOUSANDS of quads / and THOUSANDS of redneck hillbilly random camping and all the associated fish killing ...

I used to go out there all the time ten, even twenty years ago. There was people fishing then... catch and kill was even allowed. fishing was still good. In the whole area maybe 10-15 campers... maybe one with atv's. Now go drive up the oldman road in aug.... drive by the livingstone in aug... drive by the castle / w castle / south castle in aug... drive by carbondale in aug... THOUSANDS... and the ground is ruined... mud where there used to be reeds and a tiny gravel stream...

are guides doing this? I think not.

PS: there are hundreds of guides who guide on those waters. Every shop in calgary advertises mountain wades. Every shop in fernie comes over here when their conditions suck. There are literally hundreds of guides on those waters. If you think they are having an impact ... then speak up! It's time for change.

it sucks when most of the red neck hillbillie i run into are suburanites....... we need changes..... soon before some of these streams become a near wasteland and might not recover.... as a guide. i do my part educating most of these people on what i know about random camping laws, river regs, stream and enviromental destruction and hwo not too be a goofball and disrespect our beautiful province...... most of the time i get dissed by them.... but some get it....

Guides protect and love their streams and educate guests on the fragility of the fish and environment. Do they have an impact just by bringing a few people / year? sure...

but not as much as the literally THOUSANDS of quads / and THOUSANDS of redneck hillbilly random camping and all the associated fish killing ...

I used to go out there all the time ten, even twenty years ago. There was people fishing then... catch and kill was even allowed. fishing was still good. In the whole area maybe 10-15 campers... maybe one with atv's. Now go drive up the oldman road in aug.... drive by the livingstone in aug... drive by the castle / w castle / south castle in aug... drive by carbondale in aug... THOUSANDS... and the ground is ruined... mud where there used to be reeds and a tiny gravel stream...

are guides doing this? I think not.

PS: there are hundreds of guides who guide on those waters. Every shop in calgary advertises mountain wades. Every shop in fernie comes over here when their conditions suck. There are literally hundreds of guides on those waters. If you think they are having an impact ... then speak up! It's time for change.

Well..I can't agree more ..for when I came to Calgary the very first time and lived here was in 168-69..boy the fishing was exactly as you stated..it was the West at her best..now ..well progress as again has destroyed what was once beautiful..

..however m8, are you not forgetting the time four years ago when mother nature decided to "cry" her eyes out, and caused massive floodings..that changed the course of the fish, destroyed many beds, in general changed things...............Wolfie

Well..I can't agree more ..for when I came to Calgary the very first time and lived here was in 168-69..boy the fishing was exactly as you stated..it was the West at her best..now ..well progress as again has destroyed what was once beautiful..

..however m8, are you not forgetting the time four years ago when mother nature decided to "cry" her eyes out, and caused massive floodings..that changed the course of the fish, destroyed many beds, in general changed things...............Wolfie

in fact wolfie, that flood should have made things a lot better. In 1995 there was a huge flood down south as well, and by 1998-1999-2000 the fishing was tremendous again, better than pre flood dare I say.

This 2005 flood should have cleared out the mud from spawning beds and replaced it with prime gravel, again making it easy for a healthy recovery of fish within the 3-5 year mark from the flood. This has not happened... Conditions should have been better for the fish, but the quads have ruined it in such a short time... it was decent in 2005 and 2006, worse in 2007, bad in 2008, and barely worth guiding on in 2009.

The only stream with good populations of fish left is one that doesn't get quaded over endlessly... the Crownest river.

Jeremie.

I am on your side.

Over the last 5 years the fishing in SW alberta HAS GONE to ****. People are now posting "oh what a great day we got 15 between 3 of us". That's total crap... sorry but that's a crap day... your bragging up a crap day!!!

You used to be able to catch 50 / day EACH!!!..... EVEN IF YOU SUCKED at presentation, fly choice, casting, etc. Mort rates + random camping + ******* with quads ripping up spawning grounds + lack of enforcement anywhere up there, etc. If we all just sit on our asses in denial there will be no fish left in ten years.

Lack of enforcement or the lack of govt funding to provide enforcement?As for fishes i give em 5.Prov and fed are over budget already and the years not over.And as for RVrs i agree that there shoud be some sort of forestry access fee for random camping to offset and hire additional staff to help with fisheries and forestry. But wait? wasnt it the gov that started this random camping in the first place? They used to operate the camprounds, Then said it costed too much and privatized the campgrounds. What the hell do you think drove people to random camp? When the govt controlled the grounds there was very little random camping. But when they privatized and started charging $25 a night to camp in a dump.Well you now see the picture.And im sure the dollars the gov makes from rv and atv use(reg,gst,taxes,fuel,grub and taxes on those taxes) far out ways the revenue brought in by flyfishing. Rving and random camping are a multi billion dollar boost for the govt pockets. So dont bitch about enforcement they are limited by the funding by the govt in their depts.Bitches about Lack of enforcement. Ya F&W deal with fish, wildlife,landowners,poachers,problem wildlife,maulings,fisherman of all types,bird hunters and our complaints for poaching. And excuse me for a couple guys its a big ass country.

Jeremie.

I am on your side.

I agree 100% with what your saying Hawg I haven't fished in Alberta in about 12 years and the fishing is piss poor up on the North Ram compared to what it was. I use to be able to go out there any day of the week and catch 25 cutts over 20 inches and 50 under 16 inches and that was about an average day. A good day would easily see you over 100 fish. Now in 3 days straight a couple weeks ago between 2 of us we caught about 40 cutts none over 17 or 18 inches. They just aren't there like they use to be and anyone who says they are just wasn't fishing Alberta 15 to 20 years ago.

I have still seen fish scales on rocks near campsites on streams that are C&R. So for anyone that says its a bad day stop whining, maybe you should look around and see or get off your man made stream and ponds and come and fish the real rivers and lakes and see how shitty they are!

Twice this month we almost hit quadders near a stream because they where ripping up the road and cause dust clouds.

No matter how many people tell me to stop complaining i wont, because until you notice an extreme fish decline in more then 2 or 3 water bodies you can say that nothing is happening you just suck at fishing.

Even with all the fishing pressure, i have still seen fish scales on rocks near campsites on streams that are C&R. So for anyone that says its a bad day stop whining, maybe you should look around and see or get off your man made stream and ponds and come and fish the real rivers and lakes and see how shitty they are!

No matter how many people tell me to stop complaining i wont, because until you notice an extreme fish decline in more then 2 or 3 water bodies you can say that nothing is happening you just suck at fishing.

And if you havn't noticed, those are the only 4 fish caught the entire trip.. THINK ABOUT IT

Even with all the fishing pressure, i have still seen fish scales on rocks near campsites on streams that are C&R. So for anyone that says its a bad day stop whining, maybe you should look around and see or get off your man made stream and ponds and come and fish the real rivers and lakes and see how shitty they are!

And if you havn't noticed, those are the only 4 fish caught the entire trip.. THINK ABOUT IT

good post dude as said they have 10 years i give them 5 then well be golfing.

good post dude as said they have 10 years i give them 5 then well be golfing.

If that happens I am moving!!!

maybe BC and Burn some Cannabis to dull the pain of what is happening in AB..

Or back home the NB to catch friggin Bass and muskie and pike in what once was the greatest Salmon and trout waters in the world..

It's a sad sad sad thing...

Welcome to alberta FFF.Am sure after 1000 posts all the same you got the alberts idea.Do you have a NB forum i can look at to compare results.

Cheers Buddy.

Not really sure if they do or not.. the forum that my Grandfather used to belong to was around an old stove, in a corner store, near the river, I would get sent to get coffee that would get laced with Alcool or whiskey of some type, and the issues would get sorted out.. cause the four or five local fish cops would be sitting there with the old boys..

I remember the first time I brought home an Atlantic that came from a stream that it was impossible for the Atlantics to get up.. My Gramp then took it and me to the DNR guy I got a grilling and then we took it home and cooked it so as to not waste it.. turns out a dam had blown in the big rains earlier in the spring..

The point is these guys were real and men of the community and people respected them..

If that happens I am moving!!!

maybe BC and Burn some Cannabis to dull the pain of what is happening in AB..

Or back home the NB to catch friggin Bass and muskie and pike in what once was the greatest Salmon and trout waters in the world..

It's a sad sad sad thing...

Sorry FFF you know whats happening in alberta,Youve seen it with your own eyes.