Fly Fusion Forums

Decievers And Coho Flies

acurrie

Just wondering if anyone has any Deceiver recipes that they wouldn't mind sharing for some Steelhead and Coho fishin. I know Steelies generally like Purple and pink and Coho like Chartruesse, orange and silver but not sure how to put it together.

I'm gonna try and tye up a whole bunch of streamers before heading up to the Skeena in a few weeks.

Thanks!

Drew

Colored and size for Coho is dictated by the visibility in the river. Lime green works well in clear water, "coho blue" works well anytime as long as you can add a attractant color during low vis conditions.

2009_08240011.jpg

2009_08240014.jpg

2009_08240015.jpg

BC_Coho_Fly.jpg

Long shank #2 with lead wire wrapped.

Clear water killer:

2009_08280008.jpg

For steelhead, get out your floating line, 8' leader and #4 October Caddis, tie it riffle hitched and go get 'em.

October_Caddis.jpg

j

Coho like this in blue and silver with a grizzly tail. You may want a swivel to keep from knotting your tippet, but it works just fine on heavy tippet if you expect it to just wobble, not spin. I made mine out of blue lure tape that I found among the spinners in a tackle shop and used some silver mylar from a potato chip bag. I did clean the chip bag before tying or it would have driven me crazy at the tying bench, as I try not to eat and tie in the same area!

http://bvipirate.com/spoonfly/index.html

Smallmouth bass seem to like this one too.

I was just browsing around the http://www.canadiantubeflies.com web site at their saltwater and steelhead flies.

Lots of good ideas there, and plenty of showpieces. I liked the Deceiver idea they have.

Try here for the Deceiever pattern you were looking for. It worked for me.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/pr...fm?parentID=166

Drew....if you can tie these up , I used them a lot in the Cowichan River [on cohos and steelies] , when I was living on the Island............Wolfie

..hook, ur choice and size.

..body..mylar tubing

..polar bear upper and lower wings

..pearl flashabou / navy flashabou..top wing..

..epoxy head with doll eye insert

..before u start to tie..make one weighted / one none weighted..the choice is ur's.

5oii5h.png

All those patterns look awesome. I'm gonna give some Intruders a try, they look like they would have a lot of "life" in the water.

Here are a few patterns I've been tying. Kinda taking a few idea's here and there. My Camera is brutal at close range so the quality sucks.

Flies008.jpg

Flies011.jpg

#3: I call this one "Team Canada!"

Flies012.jpg

Flies017.jpg

And here is a Pic of a Bull I picked up on #2 this last Friday... So it works! Woohoo

Flies003.jpg

Only 10 more days to Go.....

Drew

Drew....if you can tie these up , I used them a lot in the Cowichan River [on cohos and steelies] , when I was living on the Island............Wolfie

..hook, ur choice and size.

..body..mylar tubing

..polar bear upper and lower wings

..pearl flashabou / navy flashabou..top wing..

..epoxy head with doll eye insert

..before u start to tie..make one weighted / one none weighted..the choice is ur's.

5oii5h.png

Look like good ones Wolfie. For your weighted one how many wraps were you using?

the number of wraps are not important as the size of lead wire I'm using..OK..I've just checked to see what weight it is or size, but cause these are real old they do not state anything..however..the smallest is .020, so the one I use would be .030 or .035, yes I would have to say.. .035 would be the size. And as far as wraps are concern..only from 1/3 back from the eye to just before the bend at the back of the hook.

..hope that helps you...Wolfie

2yy7fa0.jpg200s55i.jpg

been tying in between time some of my favorite streamers, like the two I posted , but in different colour combinations, in hopes that one of them might yield me an Alberta Bull, will post some pics, after I've done a few more...........Wolfie