Fly Fusion Forums

Roof Rack

Guest ArtVandelay

Guest JayVee

I really need to buy a truck but I'm going to have to wait a while for that. In the meantime I need to be able to transport my pontoon boat. It's a Fishcat 10 IR, 10' x 56", ~70 lbs. To me it's just not feasible to break this down and assemble it every time I want to take it out. There's no way it's fitting in my trunk otherwise. So I'm thinking a roof rack is the way to go. I drive a 2 door Civic Si.

I called Racks Unlimited and it looks like a Thule system will run me $600...over $450 for the posts and rails and he said I'd need an adapter that's over $100. Is there a cheaper alternative available that will do the job, something from Canadian Tire maybe? There must be something other than Thule or Yakima that will get the job done safely. I've seen a couple of smaller cars around town with pontoons on the roof so I'm pretty sure I'll be ok to do this, unless you can think of a reason why I shouldn't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Neil

I really need to buy a truck but I'm going to have to wait a while for that. In the meantime I need to be able to transport my pontoon boat. It's a Fishcat 10 IR, 10' x 56", ~70 lbs. To me it's just not feasible to break this down and assemble it every time I want to take it out. There's no way it's fitting in my trunk otherwise. So I'm thinking a roof rack is the way to go. I drive a 2 door Civic Si.

I called Racks Unlimited and it looks like a Thule system will run me $600...over $450 for the posts and rails and he said I'd need an adapter that's over $100. Is there a cheaper alternative available that will do the job, something from Canadian Tire maybe? There must be something other than Thule or Yakima that will get the job done safely. I've seen a couple of smaller cars around town with pontoons on the roof so I'm pretty sure I'll be ok to do this, unless you can think of a reason why I shouldn't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Neil

Check out Kajiji or Used Calgary as I have seen many used roof rack systems for much cheaper. I spent the money on a yakima system just to find all the parts I needed on usedcalgary for less than 1/2 price.

mkm

I purchased Thule racks at Crappy Tire before so check out online to see if they are still selling Thule (you can check store availability.

P

Thanks guys,

Neil

I'd show you the wood roof rack I built for my canoe on my Outback.................but you guys would call me a redneck..................it cost me $15 bucks instead of the $230 that the dealer wanted..........rails already on my wagon.............atleast the wife won't drive my car now

I have a set of Yakima bars that attach to the original equipment rails on my suburban. I bought them quite a few years ago, so I can't recall what I paid, but it was no where near $600. It works great for my canoe and my 9' outcast pontoon. The version shown in the following link appears to be a newer version of what I have, and the listed MSRP is $226CAD. Terry

http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-systems/p...g-ez-rider.aspx

I was just in Racks unlimited to by a rack for my Tacoma - $700 and not in stock (apparently racks "limited" ha ha ha) - ended up fabing my own from the reciever and using foam blocks on the front

I wouldn't go without - a little sand and the straps on my pontoon killed the paint job on the roof of my former dodges topper