Fly Fusion Forums

Hike In Lakes

Hey all, New to the site just this season and must admit i'm jealous of the places most of you go and take a stab at catching some beauty's. Was just wondering if a few of you would be nice enough to give me a pointer on where i should go to try my luck at catching some cutty's as i have never caught one before. I'd love to do a hike in, fishing trip. It is my last month in alberta, moving at the end of the month, and would really enjoy to hit up a nice spot in the mountains.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Ryan

Ryan, are you looking for a day trip or over night? What kind of shape are you in (out of 10)? Do you have any backcountry exp. (out of 10)? FYI, the harder you work to get into some lakes the bigger the reward. Are you looking at casting from shore or using a tube. There are a few references on the site from the last few months. If you can get a hold of "Fly Fishing the Canadian Rockies" by Joey Ambrosi, it is a great reference even though the info is some what dated. Also I think the "Outdoor Alberta" site has some fishing specific info on it, but I've complained to the site mods about their fishing handling and photo posting and they have done nothing about it, but that dosen't surprise me!! :$*%&: :$*%&:

Contact me directly if you want any more info, I'd be happy to share some (not all) of it with you...

Cheers,

Peter

Hey all, New to the site just this season and must admit i'm jealous of the places most of you go and take a stab at catching some beauty's. Was just wondering if a few of you would be nice enough to give me a pointer on where i should go to try my luck at catching some cutty's as i have never caught one before. I'd love to do a hike in, fishing trip. It is my last month in alberta, moving at the end of the month, and would really enjoy to hit up a nice spot in the mountains.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Ryan

Ryan, are you looking for a day trip or over night? What kind of shape are you in (out of 10)? Do you have any backcountry exp. (out of 10)? FYI, the harder you work to get into some lakes the bigger the reward. Are you looking at casting from shore or using a tube. There are a few references on the site from the last few months. If you can get a hold of "Fly Fishing the Canadian Rockies" by Joey Ambrosi, it is a great reference even though the info is some what dated. Also I think the "Outdoor Alberta" site has some fishing specific info on it, but I've complained to the site mods about their fishing handling and photo posting and they have done nothing about it, but that dosen't surprise me!! :$*%&: :$*%&:

Contact me directly if you want any more info, I'd be happy to share some (not all) of it with you...

Cheers,

Peter

Hey Peter, I'd be looking for an over night trip, one that i'll never forget, if not for the fishing, then for the views and surroundings! I'm in great shape only being 24 and have backcountry exp, having done seismic in tumbler ridge and grande cache. Just lack skill in finding where to go and such, havn't really ventured far from the city, basically because i have no idea where to go...i've tried a few random river's i've drove by, but no luck basically.

Thanks for the info,

Ryan

PM sent regarding great cutty Lake in Banff/LL area

Keep in mind that many lake cutties begin rolling their flies before the take about this time of year, so if your not hooking up try a 2 second pause after the take, once you get the timing right you'll have a riot - I usually average between 30 and 40 fish per 4 hour session where I suggested. - these guys fight and jump but generally don't get bigger that 14"

Rob

Ryan,

I'll send you my e-mail via PM and we'll chat... FYI, were heading out again for a backpacking trip in two weeks so you might be able to tag along if it works out.. Not sure where at this point, but...

P

Hey Peter, I'd be looking for an over night trip, one that i'll never forget, if not for the fishing, then for the views and surroundings! I'm in great shape only being 24 and have backcountry exp, having done seismic in tumbler ridge and grande cache. Just lack skill in finding where to go and such, havn't really ventured far from the city, basically because i have no idea where to go...i've tried a few random river's i've drove by, but no luck basically.

Thanks for the info,

Ryan