Fly Fusion Forums

Where Am I?

Bigtoad

So my wife and a friend of ours (along with the pooches) hiked into a lake this past weekend. Had lots of fun but it was a lot further than I had previously thought (but now I'm giving too much info away).

There has been way too many pics of people trying to hide locations and I wanted to mix it up a bit. Instead, can anyone name the location from the pics?

After MANY "It's just over the next rise," we finally made it, and were a bit excited.

P8090065.jpg

I'm not sure if my wife or the scenery is hotter.....either way, I'm a lucky S.O.B.

P8090068.jpg

Since it was a lot farther than we had anticipated, I only fished for about an hour. Nothing monstrous but it was tons of fun. You could see them coming from 15+ feet down.

P8090073.jpg

The whole crew.

P8090075.jpg

It looks like Lost Guide Lake to me.

Where did you start and how long did it take you?

DING, DING, DING! We have a winner!!!! Nice work BigBowTrout!

We started at the Ram staging area and hiked about 2/3's the first day for about 6 hours. Second day we went up in 4 hours and back to camp in 3, stopping to fish for an hour. 3rd day we were out in 5. First 2/3rd's is easy. The 1/3 part up to Lost Guide is difficult but by far the most enjoyable/scenic once you get above tree line.

Took the GPS (consulted it and the topo map frequently) and it was 19km's as the crow flies from the staging area to Lost Guide. My guess is it is probably closer to 30km on foot. So 60km in 3 days. I have the bleeding heels to prove it. I was breaking in the new boots. OUCH!

Here's a pic of the South Ram on the way up... so freaking pretty. I stopped on the way back at a beautiful pool while the girls had lunch. Fished for 15 minutes and caught 6 from 12-16" on a caddis. It was awesome! Then a group of about 30 ESL students on horseback showed up and decided to have lunch there. It was a gong-show so we got out of there! Wish I could have fished there and some other sweet holes a bit more. Might have been really interesting...

P8100100.jpgP8100098.jpg

The South Ram is a beautiful area. Lots of awesome hikes from the Hummingbirg Staging Area. I'm hoping to make the hike to Lost Guide next month, if not it will be my main "to-do" trip of next season.

Beautiful hike and lake. My suggestion is to do it in 4 days. 1 day 3/4 of the way, 2nd day hike to lake and stay/fish, 3rd day fish the morning and hike out to day 1 campsite, 4th day, hike out from day 1 campsite and fish the bigger pools on the ram on the way out. 3 days was just way to far in too short a time. I'm still nursing my feet back to health.

Oh, and get yourself a topo map if you haven't already. I was constantly checking it against my old GPS to figure out when to turn up to Lost guide. It's not a big trail heading up there and could easily be missed.

Have fun!