Fly Fusion Forums

Hook Set When Fishing Streamers

Ral

If you were "swinging" them, then that's pretty common... A natural reaction is to pull the rod tip straight up, which essentially pulls the fly out of the fish's mouth. Try using an "up stream" hook set (I think that's what it's called?). Pull the rod tip up stream while pulling one big strip in. It takes A LOT of concentration as the natural tendency is to pull straight up!

I'm still working on mine...

Hope this helps...

Peter

P.S> Also make sure your hooks are sharp (and sharpen regularly) as streamers tend to dull pretty quickly dragging on the bottom bashing into rocks, etc.!

So i was fishing streamers the other day and had six hits but couldn't seem to set the hook effectively. Any suggestions would be great!

RAL

sure love fishing streamers as you never know when it's coming and the hits are so hard most times , i like to just wait a couple seconds after the hit befor pulling the trigger , if your hooks good and sharp they will alot of times hook themselves on the turn back , and you just have to lift the rod tip , i alot of times will then give it to em just to be sure the hook is in good ,

most time the fish are pretty good in size with streamers , when hooked i find that most will break off rather then the hook coming loose today we threw streamers all day as the water was shitty for vis , my guys slamed a few really good browns and i'd say about 50 % hooked good and the rest gone , it's still a very exciting way to fish , beats looking at a indy all the time , and you'll be warm as it's a workout throwing all day