Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Float

Bigtoad

Did an overnight float on Saturday/Sunday with some friends. 4 of us in 2 boats. Saturday was HOT and we didn't catch much the whole day. I picked up a beautiful 21" brown on a dropper just downstream of the city. Man was it fat. Caught it on my friends 4 weight. It was really fun. Picked up a few tiddlers later that night in front of camp when things cooled down but that was it.

Thunder, rain, and more thunder and rain started at about 1:00 am. Tent held together and it was finally cool when we got up Sunday morning. Expectations were high that the drop in temp would help the fishing. Picked up a couple nymphing and few on streamers but nothing over 16. I did dredge another great 18" brown "trolling" a streamer deep through a slow deep area. Great fight.

I was REALLY hoping to catch a few fish on the big foam but nothing was looking up. There were still stones around and I would have thought hoppers would be going somewhat but there was nothing. NOTHING!?!?! What's up with that?

Anyway, it was a fun trip, even though the fishing was pretty terrible compared to previous years (9th straight year I've done the camping trip). Although I guess I shouldn't complain with a 21 and 17 inch browns... the Bow just spoils a guy I guess.

Here's the big fatty.

P7250001.jpg

Another fatty.

P7260010.jpg

Cheers.

Been thinking off doing a camping float on the Bow myself. Did you stay on islands or is there places you can tent around the boat launches. Was thinking of doing Glenmore to Carsland and taking 3 days, Ive never floated below Mckinnon's yet. Am thinking 3 days should be enough but I love stopping and fishing on foot so I might shorten the float abit.

Pretty awesome browns forsure Bigtoad

Been thinking off doing a camping float on the Bow myself. Did you stay on islands or is there places you can tent around the boat launches. Was thinking of doing Glenmore to Carsland and taking 3 days, Ive never floated below Mckinnon's yet. Am thinking 3 days should be enough but I love stopping and fishing on foot so I might shorten the float abit.

Pretty awesome browns forsure Bigtoad

Islands are definitely the safest bet. Most landowners will post a "No Trespassing" sign or two or ten around if they don't want you on the land. I've only been kicked off once, luckily I was just getting my tent out and hadn't fully unpacked. I rowed across the river to an island and had one of the best evenings ever on the Bow, catching 10-15 between 2 of us from one pool at the bottom of the island. I was pretty glad to have changed locations then.

I've done a 3 day, 2 nighter from FishCreek to Carsland a few times. It allows you to really slow down and do some serious fishing. Usually stop somewhere below policeman's the first night, then somewhere below the Highwood the second night.

When you are close to the weir, there are signs to keep to the left. IGNORE these signs and stay to the right. The left you'll get stuck in incredibly slow and skinny braided channels that get progressively smaller until you'll eventually be forced to get out of your boat and walk it through some of the small stuff. Just keep to the right. You'll also hit a really nice stretch going to the right.

Cheers.