Fly Fusion Forums

Lynx Or Coyote?

portnoy

I was doing a hike in Elk Island National Park last night and took a pic of what I thought was a coyote at first. But after examining the pic at home it seems like it may have been a lynx. I'm gonna post the pic and see what everyone else thinks. Lynx are supposedly found in the park occasionally so it could be possible. To me the shape of the body looks very catlike especially with the thick legs that coyotes usually do not have. Let me know what you think, it's bugging the hell out of me!!

1004754.th.jpg

OK here is it blown up. I wish I could somehow enhance the pic, if anyone knows how let me know. I'm still leaning towards lynx, I think a cougar would have a longer body, and the thickness of the legs being another characteristic. I don't know if that it's tail in behind, could be the outline of its body.

blownup.th.jpg

I figure if it were a coyote it's tail would be held off it's rump a little more. And looking at the blown ups I'd say it's doesn't really have the pointy coyote snout either, I'm sticking with lynx.

OK here is it blown up. I wish I could somehow enhance the pic, if anyone knows how let me know. I'm still leaning towards lynx, I think a cougar would have a longer body, and the thickness of the legs being another characteristic. I don't know if that it's tail in behind, could be the outline of its body.

blownup.th.jpg

PM me I have a special enlargement program that should help clear up some of the distortion.

It is kinda hard to tell what it is. It could be a lynx, it is hard to see a tail in that picture. Here is a picture of a Lynx my buddy and I ran into while hunting in the Hinton Area. It was quite spectacular. It got very close to us, I have some great video of it on Youtube too.

post-2914-1248673548.jpg

I would go back and look for tracks but we got a pretty intense thunderstorm after that so I'm pretty sure the tracks are washed away. Plus it's in a marshy area so access would be tricky. I still don't know though, the head does look coyoteish zoomed in but the thick legs do not resemble a coyote at all. I don't think I'll ever know for sure.

Well looks like I'll give this a try and tell you point blank..it is a coyote m8, NOT a Lynx..take a look at the pics I've posted..see..NO Tail..and to say it is a Cougar, well if you seen one, you can call urself real lucky, one of the hardest animals to see in the wild..

...................the Canadian Lynx...............

.........ghg0be.jpg

.........3wpdcy.jpg

Your first fox pix match the color of the suspect pretty close. I saw one at waterton on the golf course this year that was dead on for the suspect in this thread too. How can you say it's "too big" when there's really nothing in the pic to compare it to? My money's on fox

actually, it may also be a sasquatch!!!! :lol: