Fly Fusion Forums

Trip Recommendations

I am in Calgary for a few days in August. I will be flying in on the 9th of August and staying:

• High River on the 9th and 10th

• Lethbridge on the 11th

• Medicine Hat on the 12th

• High River on the 13th and 14th

I was than likely going to hang around and fish from the 15th to the 16th.

My thoughts were maybe hitting the Cowsnest for one day and taking a float down the Bow on another. I will likely try and get out on the High River for a few evenings while I am in the area.

My questions are - what rods should I bring - was likely just going to take down my 5 wt but love my 3 for fish in Ontario - get a few in the 20 inch area every year on this rod so know what it can do - but likely different than what I will see over there.

Any fly, access points, set ups, shop or other tips would be great as well.

Your 5 wt is perfect if you are limited.

Lots of good guides, and folks on here that may wanna go fishing.

My limitation is whatever West Jet will let me bring.

I have:

one 7 foot 3 wt and one 8'9" 3 wt - problem is they are both two pieces (and I would like them to stay that way)

one 10 foot 7 wt - again two piece

one 5 wt that is 4 piece (coming for sure)

One 9 wt - three piece - could bring for bull - but with limited time and no experience likely a no go.

I really only use two of the rods on a "regular" basis. I really want to bring the 8'9" LL Sage (its my favorite casting rod) - not sure if it is too light for what I will see - or if West Jet will give me a hard time - or if it is even worth it.

A 3 wt would be ideal for the crow or one of the many cutthroat streams nearby, but a 5 wt will cover everything except for the bulls. There's tons of guide reccomendations if you search, but being a weekend many might be booked up already. For shops, Fishtales and Southbow are the closest Calgary shops to High River, and The Crowsnest Angler can help you out with what you need for streams down south.

Having previously worked for an airline (not WJ), take them with you as carry on if you can. I did see rods come through Ground Handling & Baggage Services with no problems, but that doesn't mean it won't/hasn't happened... Be aware that you cannot take flies as carry on and they have to be checked. I think WJ allows two carry on pieces, as does AC, so if you are bringing them as carry on, tape the tubes together and the 2 are now 1 piece!!

P

did see an

My limitation is whatever West Jet will let me bring.

I have:

one 7 foot 3 wt and one 8'9" 3 wt - problem is they are both two pieces (and I would like them to stay that way)

one 10 foot 7 wt - again two piece

one 5 wt that is 4 piece (coming for sure)

One 9 wt - three piece - could bring for bull - but with limited time and no experience likely a no go.

I really only use two of the rods on a "regular" basis. I really want to bring the 8'9" LL Sage (its my favorite casting rod) - not sure if it is too light for what I will see - or if West Jet will give me a hard time - or if it is even worth it.

You want have a problem with taking the rods on WestJet or other airline if you can put them in your checked baggage. If you have a hockey bag that would work perfect for the shorter 2. Your other option is to pay ELS cargo to have them sent on the WestJet plane if they are over allowable dimensions. The 5wt 4 piece can be taken on the plane as checked baggage since it will fit in the overhead bin. You will just need to make sure there are no hooks or reel in the case.

I've brought a 2 pc on West Jet, no problems. Just check it as fragile/special (I pack mine in a taped PVC tube).

The 3 wt would be good for dries an mountain streams if you want to risk bringing it. The 5wt should do the same job though.

Streamers on the 5 wt (and 0x tippet/leaders) will get you some bull. And it will be fine for nymphs and dries on the Bow and Crow.

The 9wt is big for bullies (the average ones) and not worth bringing on a short trip.

For Shops, you'll be in the airport on the North side of Calgary, driving south to High river... you'll be able to hit most of the shops with little detour.

Bass Pro just north of the Airport in Airdre (if you're into that kinda thing);

Wholesale off of the Deerfoot (at Glenmore I think);

Westwinds off of Southland to the west of the Deerfoot),

Country Pleasures off of Macleod;

Fish Tales off of Macleod;

SouthBow off of Hwy 2 (Southbow Fly & Tackle Ltd. 430, 412 Pine Creek Road Dewinton, AB, T0L 0X0 Tel: 403-371-7531); and

Fly's Etc in High River (is it still around?).

They'll be able to help you with the flies and hatches, but the basics will work too... elkhair caddis, hoppers, adams, etc

If you can't find a second for your float on the 16th(Sunday)Me and some of my Buddy's maybe fishing that day and we always have room.

Thanks - I am actually now booked for the Saturday.

I may take a second or I may go it alone - do two people on a float for a day really get in each others way or is it better to go it by yourself?

I am planning to go out on the Sunday as well -just don't know how when or where. I may send you a PM - thanks for the offer.

MC