Fly Fusion Forums

Dutchie Is The Man!

So after my whining session on the board last weekend Dutchie, from Bow River Adventures, took pity on me. He took me out for a few hours last night free of charge. He showed me what I was doing wrong. It was a lot. And even though the water was high and dirty [so I wasn't thinking we'd actually catch anything just because of the poor visability and fast current] I caught 3 fish! Because my disposable camera didn't work I don't have pics, but all 3 were rainbows. And the largest was over 20". The other big one was 19" and the first one I caught was a little guy at under 12".

He showed me quite a few of his personal secrets to help catch fish, and obviously they worked!

I'm still riding high from last night just because I was trying so hard on my own and really not seeing much success. A few tips, and the help of actually seeing someone else do it, and things seem to have come together. :kicks:

So, thanks a ton Dutchie! You're THE MAN!

So after my whining session on the board last weekend Dutchie, from Bow River Adventures, took pity on me. He took me out for a few hours last night free of charge. He showed me what I was doing wrong. It was a lot. And even though the water was high and dirty [so I wasn't thinking we'd actually catch anything just because of the poor visability and fast current] I caught 3 fish! Because my disposable camera didn't work I don't have pics, but all 3 were rainbows. And the largest was over 20". The other big one was 19" and the first one I caught was a little guy at under 12".

He showed me quite a few of his personal secrets to help catch fish, and obviously they worked!

I'm still riding high from last night just because I was trying so hard on my own and really not seeing much success. A few tips, and the help of actually seeing someone else do it, and things seem to have come together. :kicks:

So, thanks a ton Dutchie! You're THE MAN!

Awesome good to hear

Sorry for the slow response. I was down at 'Thunder in the Valley' in the Crowsnest Pass. Good time. I was only able to slip away from the wife and kids for about 30min at a time on a few occasions and I was right by the towns [Coleman/Blairmore]. I still caught 3 fish. Little guys [10-12 inches], but I wouldn't expect monsters up there.

To answer the question of the biggest thing I changed, that is actually kind of tough. I changed the way I cast, the way I mend, how I tied/rigged up, how I set the hook, and he taught me some tricks how to fight the fish better making him more tired and keeping him on. Probably the biggest help was how I set the hook. I was getting bites before, but they'd get off. My setting was not as assertive as it should've been, and that was a big part of the problem. Need more of a 'snap' to it.

Even just on the Crow this weekend I noticed that I landed the fish I 'snapped' it on, and the ones I didn't got off.

Ha yep... good to hear :)

one thing I always tell my guys - if your not going to kick the bow river's a$$, it will kick yours. gotta be aggresive! happy to hear your into fish rich was talking about it when we floated on sat - which was a great day too :)